Should there be a new social media closed group for Wright?

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Roderick Grant

Re: Should there be a new social media closed group for Wright?

Post by Roderick Grant »

.....and Beetlebaum rides again!!
Last edited by Roderick Grant on Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peterm

Post by peterm »

To illustrate that free speech will be forever destroyed and we will suffer eternal damnation due to social media, Roderick points us to the good old days of Spike Jones and his City Slickers performing the William Tell Overture composed by Rossini (aka The Lone Ranger theme) with added commentary.

“Novelty Music” like this example, would have been played on the radio, which was the primary propaganda tool of the 30s and 40s. Miraculously, free speech and our species survived radio.

https://youtu.be/Xp9xJ9PbclE

SDR

Post by SDR »

It's a pity that characters like Bill O'Reilly ad Rush Limbaugh have given radio a bad name in recent years. Talk about propaganda ! Radio is alive and well as a source of actual news and reliable facts, for those who wish to avail themselves. (Which sort of content would you tend to trust---calm and upbeat journalists reporting daily news from around the world, or ranters yelling into the mic, exhorting listeners to fear and hate ? For me it's a no-brainer.)

S

peterm

Post by peterm »

So true when talking about am radio.

Since we are constantly subjected to lies, conspiracy theories and hate from multiple media sources, isn’t it our responsibility to speak up whenever and wherever we see it?

These are real *people* who make conscious decisions to manipulate the undereducated, misinformed and those who unknowingly repeat these fabrications, whether through Facebook, radio, television, or internet chat sites. I just saw today that the Kelly Loeffler campaign intentionally darkened the skin of her opponent in a Facebook ad, a blatant racist tactic to appeal to “the Trump base”. Is that Zuckerberg’s fault, or the unethical Georgia Senator? Probably both.

Here at Wright Chat, we automatically and intuitively protect Wright’s legacy by exposing untruths, for example in the thread “Sure, we can call anything “Frank Lloyd Wright” ” We also contact people who are selling items with false attribution or provenance. This is whistle blowing on a micro level. Now we need to do the same to those who wish to destroy what remains of our fragile democracy.

M Pipher

Post by M Pipher »

Stephen Cowdery Clearly something like this is not for you. As I am sure the open page is not for you either that's fine. I now the Wright Cate and other web pages have a lot of great stuff.

Michael P..

Stephen Cowdery

Post by Stephen Cowdery »

M Pipher wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:01 am
Stephen Cowdery Clearly something like this is not for you. As I am sure the open page is not for you either that's fine. I now the Wright Cate and other web pages have a lot of great stuff.

Michael P..
Good to know that someone knows what is best for me.

I refuse to join a club that would have me as a member :wink:

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

SDR, it's odd that you would reject the ranting of Rush Limbaugh. You have heard of Antifa, haven't you? Or as I call them Neo-Brown Shirts. They are a rambunctious lot, aren't they? BLM do nothing but scream, set fires, loot, and you do not reject their complaints. Maxine Waters exhorted her minions to attack Republicans wherever they encountered them, just for being Republicans. Should she not be 'exhorted' out of the House? Should her behavior be tolerated, this representative who doesn't even reside in her district? All Limbaugh does (apparently; I have never listened to him) is express his ideas loudly. Like Max.

To suggest that hatred comes exclusively from the right (and, embarrassingly, some of it does) is either blind adherence to the hatefulness of the left or stupidity. For those who are committed to the "facts," it is inconsistent to ignore half of the picture.

peterm

Post by peterm »

Roderick Grant-

“ BLM do nothing but scream, set fires, loot...”

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/01/06 ... c-protests

Any black person who would be caught storming the US capitol would be shot and killed immediately.

SDR

Post by SDR »

I am not aware of the Maxine Waters quote; if you're interested you can refer me to a reliable source. Every public protest is likely to excite neer-do-wells to take advantage of the event to do damage---for reasons unrelated to the protester's agenda, more often than not. Anyone who damages public or private property in that way is culpable. But to conflate those isolated events---always featured in commercial media accounts---with the aims of those protesting perceived injustice is disingenuous.

The same could be said about what's happening at the US Capitol today: those protesting, a few violently (someone has been shot by law enforcement, presumably inside the building), are of course a tiny percentage of our population who have been radicalized by the President of the United States, who has been supported by a considerable minority of Republican Senators and Congressmen to this point. I would suggest that this would be a good time for those who identify themselves as members of that party to sit down---in shame---and shut up, if they don't have the courage to protest, themselves, their party leaders.

S

peterm

Post by peterm »

Truth.

Who owns this insurrection/coup attempt?
Who called for it?

DRN

Post by DRN »

“ BLM do nothing but scream, set fires, loot...”
I can't sit idly by with that statement.
That is NOT true. Those that resort to violence, looting, or destruction are a very small minority and not representative at all of BLM.

Words matter...use them carefully and accurately.

peterm

Post by peterm »

Thank you.

Btw- Roderick. I guess you’re right. As an example of the destruction of freedom of speech, Twitter has just locked Trump out, and deleted his tweets calling for this insurrection/coup d’etat/covid super spreader/proud boys dress up party.

Rood

Post by Rood »

Where is Section 4 of the 25th Amendment when you need it.

SDR

Post by SDR »

I believe that's being looked at seriously, now, in a certain circle in DC. Better late than never ? He's really going off the rails, now, we hear . . .

S

peterm

Post by peterm »

Was he ever on the rails?

The problem with the 25th in this case is that Pence could pardon Trump and his numerous federal crimes. On the other hand, he might not be so inclined since Trump threw him under the bus.

The upside is obvious. We’d be rid of him.