Should there be a new social media closed group for Wright?

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
M Pipher

Re: Should there be a new social media closed group for Wright?

Post by M Pipher »

SDR If you are a Foundation member you proboly already have, the 8 drawings of the World Heritage Sites in the Winter Quarterly are mine.
M Pipher.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Oho. So I have ! More than mere drawings; paintings ? They could be serigraphs, with their beautiful flat color fields. Congratulations !

SDR
"As a former copy editor, I always feel I am defending the person whose name is being misspelled, not attacking the person who misspells it." Ronald Alan McCrea (1943-2019)

peterm

Post by peterm »

I appreciate both sites, Wright Chat and The Wright Attitude. Facebook enables easy sharing of photos, something which is more difficult here, where the sharing of ideas takes precedence.

Stan has navigated the task of administrating the site fairly. I haven’t seen any examples of name calling on The Wright Attitude, but maybe I haven’t followed it closely enough.

Stan- Doesn’t your site allow sharing photos of others as long as credit is given?

SREcklund

Post by SREcklund »

peterm wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:12 pm
Stan- Doesn’t your site allow sharing photos of others as long as credit is given?
It does, with the caveat that the usage is in support of some sort of point you are trying to make about the architecture. We try to stay away from "pictures for pictures sake" unless they're your own shots, and you're simply sharing your travels.

We also allow the use of uncredited works (ie - "I pulled it off the internet") provided it meets the caveat from above, and you are clear that it was not your work to begin with.

Rule #1 at the WA is to "be a good human", and this photo policy is just our way of insuring that folks treat photographers as the good humans we know them to be.
Docent, Hollyhock House - Hollywood, CA
Humble student of the Master

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright

jmcnally

Post by jmcnally »

It's hard to believe it's time for my annual post to Wright Chat.

I resisted Facebook for quite a while, but finally joined in 2010 for work-related reasons. It enables me to keep in touch with family and friends from across the country. It has many problems, but it is still worthwhile for those living in the modern age. I also joined groups for my other interests, from coin collecting to The Beatles to Disney. Imagine that - all in one place!

I have been with The Wright Attitude from the day of its birth. I enjoy posting photos of my visits to Wright properties and seeing others' photos. Facebook facilitates this sharing of information with simple menus for posting single photos or for creating photo albums.

I have gotten more solid leads from Facebook's groups than from all other sources combined.

Michael's posts with his great artwork are missed

M Pipher

Post by M Pipher »

jmcnally
Thank You, I do miss almost all the members of the WA. While I am still drawing for myself and no other reason but the Love of Wright. My focus right now is to be of help to the sites and organizations during these difficult & uncertain time. I support Stan and his work with the group. I am doing something a little different that goes beyond anything anyone has done before.

The Wright Legacy Page https://www.facebook.com/The-Wright-Leg ... 740677400/ /https://www.instagram.com/the_wright_legacy_trip_page/ & The Legacy Group is not a replacement for all the wonderful pages and groups out there. Each has something to offer just like the two Wright field guides do. The the family of Wright Legacy pages and Group is just something in addition to. Each has something to offer depending on the level of involvement one wants, so something for everyone.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/128477375503418/
. The Legacy Group is the crown jewel within the Wright Legacy family. A place where ever the most schooled within the Wright community can learn and share information. Some may think it's just another closed group, No is is something more that can go beyond any other FLLW page or group out there in the social media world.
The Legacy Group is a 3 tier made up of an archive of this past years social distancing videos housed under one roof, there are interviews with the Master, other documentaries, house tours long and short. a treasure trove archived here.
The Legacy community the members.
Last but not lest there will be a full account of all the Wright projects housed here and only here. The built works, the lost treasures and over 600 projects that never made it beyond the darting table. That is more content then you will find in the Monograph 12 volume set & the FLLW complete works by Taschen 3 volume set.
So no matter what level you enjoy Frank Lloyd Wrights work there is something for you within the Wright Legacy family.

While the Group is geared to exploration of the projects it is truly not for everyone but is intended as a tool for the sites to use for educational purposes.

Michael P.

Tim

Post by Tim »

Context:

I am appreciator of Wright. I've been to 300+ buildings (live in mid-west, traveled for work / made point of visiting Wright structures). I consume most good books, etc. on the him.

I don't have much to offer on the academic side but I do like "listening in". (I've been around long enough to call BS when I see it.)

Preference:

I despise Facebook. I think it is evil.

Chat rooms / social media groups create content. I'd rather the content be created here and be owned by this site (and certainly not Facebook). This chat room has created some good content that I bet will be useful to a FLW fan in 2050.

I agree that this site could benefit from making easier to share videos and photos. This feels like the primary limiter of this chat.

Every chat room / social media group creates weird dynamics (friends and foes). But that's just humans being humans.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

I've mentioned - and posted - this before. There is an "investing-for-retirement" phpBB site that I've participated in for many years - Bogleheads. Within their Forum, they have a Wiki Section where they have set up all different categories and sub-categories, etc.

If the powers-that-be here at Wright Chat were to be able to offer up a Wiki for this Forum we could set up sections on all that Michael P. has previously mentioned - and, more (i.e. - sections on: books on Wright, books on houses/buildings, TAA, apprentices, Wright family/genealogy, individual houses (think: Pauson, for example), unbuilt projects...........etc, etc, etc). The categories and options are endless. In effect, we would be creating our own archive(s).

David

SDR

Post by SDR »

David, can you expand on that concept ? Without in any way speaking against it, don't the various threads at Wright Chat---now that "search" has been re-established---provide such an archive ? Perhaps what you describe is a more organized version of what we now have ?

I am open to any developments that might be suggested. I myself am undecided about the place, in the larger community, of a small group I host via email, forwarding each of Dave Anderson's "DailyWright" photos as it appears, with expanded content, to a group of online friends. The consensus is that I could simultaneously present the same material, perhaps to a dedicated thread, here at Wright Chat. I am still pondering that move, though it makes sense to me.

S
"As a former copy editor, I always feel I am defending the person whose name is being misspelled, not attacking the person who misspells it." Ronald Alan McCrea (1943-2019)

M Pipher

Post by M Pipher »

Tim wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:11 am
Context:

I am appreciator of Wright. I've been to 300+ buildings (live in mid-west, traveled for work / made point of visiting Wright structures). I consume most good books, etc. on the him.

I don't have much to offer on the academic side but I do like "listening in". (I've been around long enough to call BS when I see it.)

Preference:

I despise Facebook. I think it is evil.

Chat rooms / social media groups create content. I'd rather the content be created here and be owned by this site (and certainly not Facebook). This chat room has created some good content that I bet will be useful to a FLW fan in 2050.

I agree that this site could benefit from making easier to share videos and photos. This feels like the primary limiter of this chat.

Every chat room / social media group creates weird dynamics (friends and foes). But that's just humans being humans.
(I've been around long enough to call BS when I see it.) No BS here only a LOVE of WRIGHT. I have been drawing Wright projects for 39 years and have drawn over 5,400. drawings by hand! I have also been to 300+ buildings. This New Group and page is the real deal. I can also insure you I have content that would make you say WOW! No weird dynamics only those who have the love and passion. Michael P.

Tim

Post by Tim »

Michael, Fair enough! And I have seen your stuff. It is very good!

My BS detector tends to go off when folks over romanticize or over idealize FLW on one side OR are overly critical of FLW because of his human failings (which were many :oops:). And their criticism shades their critique of his architecture.

M Pipher

Post by M Pipher »

Thank you Tim, He was a man with an incredible gift. Everyone has faults and artist sometimes more than others. I have always tried to separate the two the Man and the Artist. Michael P

SDR

Post by SDR »

Ditto that. No one is more critical of Wright's professional failings than I, but those critiques are about the work. I have no interest---other than the common human failing of being glad it wasn't me---in his personal peccadillos.

Just to be clear, Michael, when you speak of "this New Group and page," to what are you referring ? If a link is available, I'd like to have it posted.

S

M Pipher

Post by M Pipher »

SDR I had posted a link for jmcnally as he had an interest in the Wright Legacy Group & Page. They should be on this page a few lines up. Michael P.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks ! Now, let's see as much of your work as you care to share ! I am happy to post images for those who aren't set up for that . . .

S