Should there be a new social media closed group for Wright?

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
M Pipher

Should there be a new social media closed group for Wright?

Post by M Pipher »

As I have left a closed group recently, the thought of forming a new group is floating in my head. Is there a need for something more serious not only for the Sites but for those like myself that love Wright? All thoughts are welcome, Thanks Michael P.

SDR

Re: Should there be a new social media closed group for Wright?

Post by SDR »

Michael, welcome to Wright Chat. May I ask what moved you to leave the group you were a part of ? What would you like to find in a new group ? Have you spent time here, to see if our discussions might fulfill your expectation ?

There is a facebook Wright group that I understand is popular. There may be other private Wright discussion fora that would meet your needs. Of course, being the leader or at least the instigator of a group gives one some freedom to provide direction---but it seems to me than any democratically run discussion group will treat all members equally, with topic choices and other matters able to be suggested by all . . . ?

Wright Chat regulars include several practicing architects, including at least three preservation architects with extensive Wright restoration experience, and multiple owners of Wright properties. Others are well-traveled Wright aficionados, members of the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy, our hosts here. I'm not sure you'll find more serious discussion of Wright, online; we tackle the history of the architect, his associates and apprentices, as well as the work, often with copious illustration, covering all periods of Mr Wright's career. Everything from building maintenance issues to the meaning of Wright's contribution to Architecture (capitalized, as he was wont to do) has been approached and chewed over---multiple times, as the 200-page index of threads will attest.

S

M Pipher

Post by M Pipher »

Thank You SDR, yes you may ask but I really do not want to get into details. One member pushed me to the point that I did not feel comfortable being a part of the group anymore.
I am thinking something geared towards being helpful to the public sites and that can provide a positive impact to research on the 1,100 projects that Mr. Wright designed.
I know from feedback since I have left that it’s a 50/50 split asking me to return and to form a new group. I know it would be a big undertaking and honestly not something I ever dreamed of doing, much like publishing a book with my drawings.
I know Wright Chat can be an outlet for mess I have over the years have looked at the discussion board. For now I am just looking for a path forward. Thanks M

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Establishing guidelines for a discussion group is like forming a choir, where all members are either on the same page or out of tune.

M Pipher

Post by M Pipher »

So true Roderick. Thank you M

Mark Hertzberg

Post by Mark Hertzberg »

Actually, Roderick, a more robust discussion group allows for people who have differing opinions, rather than the entire choir being of one mind.
Mark Hertzberg

Healeyjet

Post by Healeyjet »

Michael, you will enjoy this group. I have been a member for many years, mostly just as a reader not a contributor. I am not sure there is a group of people out there more knowledgeable about FLLW than those right here.
Ward

Stephen Cowdery

Post by Stephen Cowdery »

Count me out.

My experience with "closed" groups is that there is usually an agenda—hidden or otherwise. I know that open forums can have problems, but it is far better to have things in the open.

Mark Hertzberg

Post by Mark Hertzberg »

Stephen, it is not really a "closed group" that he left. One does have to apply, but everyone is welcome. They can get bounced for violating basic, common sense rules (such as insulting people, grossly politicizing things, and so on). There are many, many members...almost 5,000 when I checked last spring...and there is a great variety of topics posted. They range from scholarly inquiries to people asking for advice on visiting Wright sites to people posting their photos of their visits. It is misleading to term it a "closed group" and that implies that there is almost prior restraint. There is no pre-approval of posts.
Mark Hertzberg

SREcklund

Post by SREcklund »

Forums such as WrightChat are a wonderful vehicle for research, with their dedicated, titled threads that can be archived and searched. Not everyone wanders the internet, though, and there’s a place within the confines of social media for a group dedicated to the ongoing appreciation of all things Wright. I know, because I founded just such a group some years back – the Wright Attitude on Facebook. As noted elsewhere in this thread, we are a closed group, primarily so we can insure those who want to join are serious in their appreciation of Wright and his work. The result is that while we do have over 5,000 members, those members include over 50 Wright homeowners, officers of all the Wright-supporting organizations, leaders of most Wright public sites and most everyone who’s anyone in the Wright world – and has a Facebook account. A large number of participants here at WrightChat are members as well, as was – until quite recently – the original poster, someone I consider a preeminent and certainly the most prolific Wright artist alive. It’s unfortunate for us all that a personal dispute between two members led him to believe his only option was to leave, and while it does lessen the quality of the group, it certainly doesn’t diminish the value it brings to the Wright world. We are – and will remain – the Facebook group of record for all things Wright, and will continue to host, as our mission statement reads, “intelligent conversation about the works of Frank Lloyd Wright, his apprentices and fellow organic architects.”

I encourage those of you who are not yet members to come and see for yourself.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/wrightattitude
Docent, Hollyhock House - Hollywood, CA
Humble student of the Master

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright

qub619

Post by qub619 »

i think their should be the new group like that : More Information Click Here

jenanikiran

Re: Java Training in Chennai | Certification | Online Course

Post by jenanikiran »

Java is a famous programming language which is most useful in developing applications for Android mobiles. Learn Java in real-time with LearnoVita experts practically with live training.

SDR

Post by SDR »

"Post only those photos, drawings, renderings, etc you personally took or have permission from the creator to use."

I was surprised to find this as the second item in the Group Rules at the facebook Wright Attitude public page. Of course this would be a prudent move from a legal perspective. I wonder, however, how the study of an architect can proceed without documention of his intent as expressed in the drawings which, of necessity, preceded construction of the buildings.

Have any members received permission to display Taliesin drawings ? Have members made their own copies of Wright drawings ? Has W A Storrer posted his plan drawings of the built Wright canon ?

I'm disadvantaged in commenting on the Wright Attitude group, as a victim of the facebook construct which apparently makes it impossible to remain on the site after changing one's e-mail address. A "catch-22" sends all requests to the user's obsolete e-mail account, to which (in this case) the user no longer has access. I understand it is Rule One at facebook that one cannot establish an account in a name other than one's own. So, no access to my own former facebook account, or to any other private pages.

I am frankly offended by the requirement, as a part of re-establishment of an account, that the user find three facebook users to attest to his fitness to be admitted. Honestly . . .!

The harm which I perceive Social Media to have inflicted on the nation in the last five years and more leaves me disinclined to participate in any of its machinations---so in general my attitude is "no loss." Nevertheless I am of course pleased to know that there is an active and successful group at facebook which one of our notable Wright activists, researchers, and photographers has hosted and managed since 2016. More power to him, and them !

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

SDR, I am in total agreement with your last paragraph. The Internet in general is a swamp, and what I know of Facebook makes it easy for me to resist.

Stan, #1: Are there really any "norms of civilized society" anymore? Were there ever any? While profanity is an easy target, hate speech is often defined arbitrarily.

Bravo for numbers 4 and 51

Perhaps the language of #6 is not quite clear, but it is made to sound like there are those untouchables who monitor and censor with gay abandon? #7 seems to be an extension of #6, with arbitrary standards that posters dare not violate. Sort of takes the punch out if all.

I shall stay here, thank you.

M Pipher

Post by M Pipher »

Mark Hertzberg Difference of opinions are great for a lively discussion until the name calling and some members belittle others. I would not expect all to sing with one voice other than for Mr. Wright's Legacy.