Video: Unity Temple - Oak Park, IL

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DavidC

Video: Unity Temple - Oak Park, IL

Post by DavidC »

juankbedoya

Re: Video: Unity Temple - Oak Park, IL

Post by juankbedoya »

DavidC wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:46 pm
Unity Temple Frank Lloyd Wright's Modern Masterpiece - (55:36)

David
Great... one documentary more..!! thanks for posting.!!

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I just noticed (@ 2:23) that the pews are numbered. Is this the type of church that has, or at least had, reserved seats for congregants?

I agree with FLW's assessment of this wonderful building being enough to ensure his legacy. Whatever the restoration cost, they got their money's worth. Just as with the case of Notre Dame, likely to go through tens of millions of euros and years of hard work, taking care of these masterpieces of history is worth every cent spent. The last time I saw UT, the interior was swathed in Olga's palette. Seeing the original colors back in place makes me want to schlep back to Oak Park for another look while I am still ambulatory.

The documentary is excellent, though I'm not sure what Paul Goldberger is doing in it. Blair Kamin did well enough. I have never been impressed with Goldberger. Reminds me of Pauline Kael: less there than meets the eye.

JimM

Post by JimM »

Extraordinary restoration of an extraordinary building, and Wright alone could judge his defining contribution to modern architecture.

Couldn't help notice the $25M cost of the 8,000 sf UT restoration. Although 1/4 the size of the Martin Complex (30,000 sf), it came in at 1/2 the cost of Martin ($50M)! There are any number of factors to consider, but curious whether an assumption could be that the 11,000 sf of ground-up new construction at Martin, while assuredly costly, was still less than had it been restoration. Or simply an economy of scale? Are labor rates that much higher in Chicago than Buffalo? Not convinced there's complete validity to my observation, but the different situations at each site do have to be taken into account in some manner. All numbers are rounded...

Unity Temple (including Unity House) 8,000 sf @ $3,000/sf

Martin Complex 30,000 sf @ $1,700/sf
Residence: 15,000 sf
Barton: 4,000 sf
Pergola (rebuilt): 2,000 sf
Conservatory (rebuilt): 3,000 sf
Carriage House (rebuilt): 6,000 sf
A comparatively minor cost would be landscaping (floricycle, etc)
Note: As far as I could tell, not included is the acquisition of the Gardeners House and the new visitors center.

As a check of sorts, and not considering the rebuilt elements, as a proportion of square footage vs cost/sf, Martin
(19,000 sf) comes in at about $7,000/sf; somewhat more than twice UT and a proportionate reversal of the original comparison.

Blame Covid...

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

Do the Martin numbers include purchase of the real estate?

Is Kamin right when he says at 1:30 that the corner columns are what hold the building up? I thought it was the walls and clerestory columns. Bok at 19:35 seems to say this too.

SDR

Post by SDR »

The structure is not clear from what can be seen in a section drawing---but the plan strongly suggests that the four prominent inboard columns are doing the bulk of the work . . . of supporting the "overhead," at least ?

https://www.archdaily.com/112683/ad-cla ... -3-section

https://www.archdaily.com/112683/ad-cla ... ght-3-plan

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I agree with SDR and Kamin. The columns may add to the support, but without the 4 corner columns, the walls and small columns would not be adequate to the job.

JimM

Post by JimM »

Reidy wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:38 am
Do the Martin numbers include purchase of the real estate?
The Martin House Restoration Corporation was formed 1992. The title was eventually transferred from the University of Buffalo to the MHRC in 2002. The university originally purchased the house in 1967 as a residence for their president.

The Barton House was purchased from a private party in 1994 with funding from a local bank, a local corporation and the Buffalo News.

The gardener's cottage was acquired by the MHRC with funding from a private party in 2006.

The restoration cost would be inclusive from about 1997 when Phase 1 officially started, the same year the restoration architects were selected. Various phases addressed ongoing work to the exterior and infrastructure. The reconstructed buildings were completed in 2007. Interior restoration of Martin and Barton occurred from 2010 -2018, with the final phase of landscaping completed in 2019.

Note the cost would also have included installation of a geothermal system; another thing which would appear to make the relative cost of the Unity Temple restoration still quite an amount.

Also, Robert Sillman Associates of Fallingwater fame were retained to consult on the sagging 5 feet eaves.