Documentary: "An American Home: Frank Lloyd Wright's B. Harley Bradley House"

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DavidC

Documentary: "An American Home: Frank Lloyd Wright's B. Harley Bradley House"

Post by DavidC »

juankbedoya

Re: Documentary: "An American Home: Frank Lloyd Wright's B. Harley Bradley House"

Post by juankbedoya »

DavidC wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:50 am
FLW film to be streamed by Lakeshore PBS

(direct link to streaming service):
Frank Lloyd Wright's B. Harley Bradley House

David
OMG..!! thanks for posting this... Finally I can watch it..!!

Paul Ringstrom

Re: Documentary: "An American Home: Frank Lloyd Wright's B. Harley Bradley House"

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

The free streaming of this movie ends November 30th.

video.lakeshorepbs.org
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

This is an excellent and informative documentary. Don't miss it!

g.dorn

Post by g.dorn »

that looks like a pretty amazing house - really nice doco, would have liked to seen a full walk through.

I wonder if it has been furnished like they said how Mr wright arranged it when he stayed over?
G Dorn
Perth Western Australia
www.dornworks.com
think, design, build

SDR

Post by SDR »

Wright and helpers copied a photograph of the living room, with its semi-Victorian furniture placement (center table or desk, chairs scattered artistically about) for inclusion in the Wasmuth Portolio---so one can assume that he approved of that arrangement ?

loo tee

Post by loo tee »

I don't think the Bradley House is quite "there" yet, despite all the extravagant claims in the video. It is unusual, but still semi-Victorian in feel. Note the fixtures, sideboard, and portieres for separating the rooms.
Back in its "Yesteryear" days as a restaurant it served the public nicely, being easy to enter and offering the pleasure of imagining yourself at a dinner party in an early Wright house with no obligation to speak polite nothings to the other "guests."
When the house was owned by the man who was later kidnapped, buried alive, and then suffocated by the failure of a crude breathing tube, it was also easily accessible. He was a great enthusiast, and welcomed any happenstance visitor who liked to hear him talk about the original plans.
The big question is why did Wright address the house formally to a dead-end street (eastward) rather than south toward the Kankakee River, which would have provided better sunlight and one of the few scenic views in the city. This strikes me as a backward step for Wright and major failure.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

This is especially odd, since the street-facing façade of the neighboring, contemporary Hickox House is a side view, while the principal front (opposite the north entrance façade) faces due south toward the river, albeit with Bradley blocking the view. So obviously FLW was not averse to breaking the rule of houses facing the street in an orderly fashion. There is a property behind Bradley, facing Indiana Ave. (which Google doesn't go up) with a subsidiary structure snuggling up to the back side of the Bradley carriage house that may have got in the way of exploiting the best view.

The arrangement of the furniture as it appears in FLW's perspective was a common approach of the A&C movement more so than a Victorian preference.

Duncan

Post by Duncan »

There is a very interesting discussion of the interrelated siting of these two houses in Wrightscapes by Charles E. Aguar and Berdeana Aguar. If someone could guide me through the steps of posting an illustration, I will scan and post.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks, Duncan; illustrations are always appreciated. To post online you need an online image hosting utility, to which you would upload your image. There it would receive an address---a URL---which you would use here, bracketed by the [img] protocol (which is done automatically on the posting page by hitting the little landscape icon).

As an alternative, you are most welcome to e-mail images to me; I will host and post at your direction, or send the URLs to you for posting.

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks, Roderick---that correction is appreciated. One tends to lump everything BW---Before Wright---under the handy Victorian pigeonhole.

Edward VII died in 1910. Is Edwardian a term sometimes associated with the Arts & Crafts ?

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I have never heard that. Party 'til you drop may have been the Edwardian mantra.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Edwardian it may be, but the Antrim House might just as well have been built in Mama Vicky's day.

Duncan

Post by Duncan »

SDR, I scanned the pages as PDFs but when I tried to attach them to a private message to you, the only choice it gave me was to attach as IMG. My scanner gives the me the choices of PDF, JPEG, JPEG2000, TIFF, or PNG.

My private message to you is sitting in my outbox.

Since this technology is obviously too much for my pea brain. If you send me yours in a private message I will email the scans to you to post.

Sorry I am such a dunce. Duncan
Last edited by Duncan on Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.