For sale: John Carr House - Glenview, IL

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DavidC

For sale: John Carr House - Glenview, IL

Post by DavidC »

John

Re: For sale: John Carr House - Glenview, IL

Post by John »

Beautiful house. I'm disappointed that they didn't show the interior. An odd listing.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Photo Alan Weintraub

© 1993 William Allin Storrer

SDR

Post by SDR »

A change was made to the inglenook; compare the two photos above. Actually, I can't get what's going on; the two fireplaces occur under a roof that's been turned 90 degrees ! Too bad we're probably never see a plan of the house as enlarged.

Here's an earlier thread on the house. http://wrightchat.savewright.org/viewto ... f=2&t=4057

S

juankbedoya

Post by juankbedoya »

SDR wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:06 pm
Photo Alan Weintraub

© 1993 William Allin Storrer
Thanks for the information. I have been always intrigued by the distance of the bathrooms from the living room. I mean if I have friends or family in the house and they need the bathroom, they have to enter to the private area in the bedroom wing. In this house the bath is very far, almost in the end of the house. I have seen many usonian houses with this problem. Why is that..?

juankbedoya

Post by juankbedoya »

Interesting but as I said it seems that is necessary that a house goes for sale to have an approach to it. At least we have exterior views.

SDR

Post by SDR »

The bathroom question is interesting. It is helpful to remember that, in the typical American family residence built in the first half of the last century, the single bathroom would be upstairs with the bedrooms. So, a trip down a longish hallway to the only (often) bathroom in a prewar Usonian would be comparable in effort, if not easier, than in the typical residence. As the postwar decade progressed, many if not most Usonians had more than one bath, with one of them more convenient to the living spaces. Carr may be a holdout in that regard.

S

Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Article/photos from the Robb Report

https://robbreport.com/shelter/homes-fo ... 234578687/

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The small, gabled blip in the ceiling, centered over an interruption in the brick wall (photo #6) looks like it originally was access to the outdoors, and was filled in with cabinetry. This has to be in the extension; I cannot find any hint of it on the original plan. But it is integrated so carefully, it is hard to tell. No exterior photo shows it.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Here it is again.
In terms of the interiors shaped by the roof what other house is this related to?

https://www.designboom.com/architecture ... 1-03-2020/