Book, "Growing Up Wright" is due in three weeks

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
GordonM

Book, "Growing Up Wright" is due in three weeks

Post by GordonM »

Lonnie Lovness' new book "Growing Up Wright, building a dream by hand with the world's greatest architect", is in production at Bang Printing in Brainerd, Minnesota. Bang has a long history as a premier book printer, and we have made a commitment: "produced, printed and bound in the USA." The 288-page book will be a Smythe-sewn hardbound with dust jacket. It is 9" x 9", has over 600 photos and 90,000 words.

For those of you who are not familiar with the Lovnesses, Lonnie's parents Don and Virginia built their first Usonian home in 1956-57, mostly by themselves. They built a second home - a copy of the Seth Peterson cottage (adapted by Wes Peters) - also by hand, finishing in 1975. Over a period of three decades they became very close to Mrs. Wright and most of the Taliesin Fellowship. Wes Peters, Jack Howe, Aaron Green, Gene Masselink and Edgar Tafel were close friends and Virginia's extensive notes recall some fascinating stories about them all. Virginia was a close confidant of Svetlana Peters and the book has some pretty interesting correspondence from her tumultuous time with Wes. Don reproduced furniture, sprites, light sculptures, and was instrumental in saving parts of the Little house. He and Virginia were strong advocates for Wright's architecture and their homes were often showcases for prospective clients. The houses on Woodpile Lake in Minnesota were also R&R stops for Taliesin apprentices over the years. Virginia was often Mrs. Wright's assistant for hostess duty at Spring Green events, and many letters from Mrs. Wright give insight into how she ran the organization.

A final chapter has extensive detail and photos of the restoration of both houses, plus construction of a third, previously unbuilt design Mr. Wright gave the Lovnesses in 1958.

You can see more at our website www.growingupwright.com and the book can be ordered there, with free shipping for Conservancy members. Signed copies are available as well until December. Our facebook page (growingupwright) has updates and interesting bits that aren't in the book. We hope you enjoy it!

SDR

Re: Book, "Growing Up Wright" is due in three weeks

Post by SDR »

Yay ! I'm on it . . . Thanks for the heads-up and info, Gordon. Can't wait to see what's been done !

S

PS---Glad to see "Taliesin North" rather than the nonexistent but stubborn "Taleisin East" in usage. One thumb up . . .

DRN

Post by DRN »

Looks like a good read...even Roderick liked it;)

There is a photo at the linked book site that has Mrs. Loveness and another woman standing on the entry terrace to the Cottage... is it my imagination or is the Loveness version of the Seth Peterson Cottage scaled up slightly from the Peterson iteration? It might also be that the two women are of small stature...

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The two cottages are the same scale. Don, who was 6'+, had to duck to get into the bedroom. Virginia was a very tiny woman.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

I highly recommend this book. It mixes the personal story along with the architectural story. I wish we had one like it for every Wright-designed home.
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

SDR

Post by SDR »

As the Lovness cottage was built post-Wright, Storrer doesn't include a scaled plan in his "Companion."

I cannot say where I found this comparison of the two cottages, and can only assume they were drawn to the same scale:

GordonM

Post by GordonM »

The two women in the photo are Virginia and Lonnie Lovness, circa 1990s. The scale may look different because the photo was taken from a low vantage point; the Peterson cottage is on mostly flat ground and the Lovness cottage is above a slope to the south and southwest. I probably also was using a slightly wide-angle lens. The roof appears a bit more dramatic in this shot because of that. Both cottages are a similar basic footprint, I believe. Wes Peters designed a longer roof cantilever which also adds the the drama. See the new photos on our website. https://growingupwright.com/
Here also is a photo from about 1970. Don and Virginia went through the Peterson cottage while considering whether to build a copy of it, or one of the three cabin plans Wright had drawn for them in 1958. The Peterson was only ten years old but had been abandoned. The real damage had not yet been done by Mother Nature, however.
Lonnie's book has extensive information and many photos of both the Peterson and Lovness cottages. Construction is extensively detailed. I believe a lot of the confusion about the basement and the "loft" will be resolved for readers.
Finally, we were just informed the book will be binding next week. How exciting!

GordonM

Post by GordonM »

We have a facebook site with lots of images that don't appear in the book. Your comments there are welcome.
https://www.facebook.com/growingupwright/