Sources of Architectural Photography?

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Matt2

Re: Sources of Architectural Photography?

Post by Matt2 »

Half tones would be take from prints and its the prints I'm after. I assume the photographers kept their negatives. But fingers crossed that the main archive will allow staff to enter and make scans. This does limit the selection to those either online or that I've already seen, so pouring through collections to find the perfect photo won't always be an option.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Poring. So, a halftone plate can be made from a digital scan ?

S

Mark Hertzberg

Post by Mark Hertzberg »

Photographers were not supposed to keep their negatives. They went to the “ morgue” or newspaper library, more so at the metros or big city papers. Regrettably at the Racine paper where I worked from 1978-2012, they regularly landfills negs after seven years until the mid 1970s. And yes, digital scan continuous tone photos can be converted into halftones.
Mark Hertzberg

SDR

Post by SDR »

Mark, in your experience what do book publishers do about illustrations ? Do they typically own the rights, if not the physical matter, for photos, drawings, etc ?

S

DRN

Post by DRN »

https://www.nytimes.com/1964/05/28/arch ... -sold.html

Through EJKauffman’s retail advertising connections with TIME/ LIFE magazines, Wright was well published by TIME, LIFE, and their family of other magazines which included Architectural Forum and House and Home and after 1990, Sunset.

T/L cancelled Forum and sold H&H in 1964. I don’t know if Time Warner held the archives of these titles the way it did with TIME and LIFE, but it may have.

Time Warner acquired Sunset in 1990, and sold it in 2017, but its archive had been donated to Stanford well before the sale. Try searching Stanford for Sunset images.

House Beautiful is a Hearst owned mag and has been since 1934. Not sure how much of their archive they have retained.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

House and Home archives are at Univ. of Pennsylvania, from 1952 to 1982.

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

U Penn doesn't have H&H's archive but has been helpful in tracking down some other resources. Tough to access stuff when so many places are locked up tight. What a great year for University Librarians...an 8 month paid vacation.