Cedar Rapids Storm

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Roderick Grant

Cedar Rapids Storm

Post by Roderick Grant »

Has anyone heard news of the Cedar Rapids' storm, and its possible damage to the Grant House?

DavidC

Re: Cedar Rapids Storm

Post by DavidC »

Paul Ringstrom is geographically the closest (unless peterm happens to be down that way now). Perhaps he can find out.

David

SDR

Post by SDR »

I went looking for a map of areas affected by the storm, and came away with this. It looks like the eastern part of the state was unaffected ? I was thinking of Oskaloosa . . .

S

Tom

Post by Tom »

I went looking too after seeing this and found nothing
but kept thinking of uplift on the roof in high winds.

PeterM - you out there friend?

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/ ... rn-damage/

Midway, IA 112mph (10mi N or Cedar Rapids), Marshalltown, IA 106mph (72mi W of Cedar Rapids)

A lot of crop damage but, also a lot of residential damage in the Cedar Rapids area.
Last edited by Paul Ringstrom on Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

SDR

Post by SDR »

Just now I heard that the effects extended to Indiana and even Ohio. Is that true ?

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Yes, SDR.

Given its location at the top of a hill with a large wood downhill, the trees may have helped keep the house safe, even though the path of the wind was aimed directly at the house, broadside. It's hard to believe those huge windows didn't suffer damage.

The Sunday House in Marshalltown is similarly facing SW with a full façade facing the wind.

peterm

Post by peterm »

Just saw this. I guess I haven’t been checking in as often as previously.

I can find out about the Grant house and get back to you. We’re ok here at Lamberson (not sure about Alsop). We just had some large branches and thousands of smaller branches and twigs everywhere strewn across the property. It took me two days working all day to clean up and schlepp the stuff to a huge pile at the back of the property. Our electricity was only out for a couple of hours. We were in Des Moines yesterday and nearly every house had giant piles of downed trees and branches cut into logs and firewood in their front yards. Many roofs were torn up. The electricity in parts of the city is just coming back now a week after the derecho (learned a new word, at least!)

The storm came so suddenly. We sat down to eat our lunch and a roar like a jet told us we should go inside. A minute later all hell broke loose.

peterm

Post by peterm »

And in Chicago, the Rogers Park neighborhood was hit by a tornado. Yes, a huge swath of the Midwest was affected.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks for that, Peter; one can rest a bit easier for it. How did Mies hold up in Chicago ?

S

peterm

Post by peterm »

Mies is still tall and proud, from what I hear. We’ve been in Iowa since March, with only a couple of isolated trips back to Chicago to check in, get mail, etc. But the Rogers Park neighborhood, which was hit hard, is only a couple of miles from Lincoln Park.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Joliet, IL was also hard hit. Friends reported lots of trees down and no power for five days.

The owner of the Sunday House reports:

Paul,
We have been without power for one week. The crew is coming tomorrow to work in our neighborhood.

I have 10 trees down, 2 pines snapped in half and one tree on the brand new roof of the garage.

The only sound in the area is chain saws, chippers and generators. It is getting old.

I am living on the generosity of my neighbor who has a generator. I charge my phone and refreeze blue ice in her freezer for my cooler.

It's like glamping.

Abby
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

A victim of the winds in Chicago is Sullivan's Pilgrim Baptist Church. Only a few walls remained standing after the 2006 fire gutted the building, but any hope of salvaging what remained seems to be gone with the wind.

JimM

Post by JimM »

Per "An American Proceeding", Donna Grant Reilly...
During the second year of occupancy, a strong windstorm took out one of the two mitered glass corners of the living room; each corner included one eight foot square section. Apparently everyone but Wright thought the sections were too large, especially for 1/4" glass, and "many" advised Grant against it. However, when replaced, it was found to be improperly installed with the wrong putty and had been set "too rigid". The (not original) glazier felt they could have withstood the wind pressure. Mrs. Grant would never sit in the room during storms, and Wright grudgingly had metal clips installed intermittently along the seam. Grant must have had continual concerns, since after Wright's death he added two additional steel mullions to each eight foot square section, eliminating the curtain wall originally intended.