Usonian Dreams finally becoming reality

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
JohnAdamsCanada

Re: Usonian Dreams finally becoming reality

Post by JohnAdamsCanada »

yellowcat wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:00 pm
John,

You will need to have 20" of non combustible floor in front of the stove and some substantial amount of clearance to any combustible wall behind the stove (depends on the manufacturer).

If you made this area (including the wall) into a central all masonry core/hearth component it might eliminate a few problems that might limit your options later.

The Finns have an interesting way to prevent the differential settling between the hearth (ie. a raised hearth or masonry heater/stove)and the structure from becoming an aesthetic issue, by starting the brick or masonry work slightly below the finish floor level. About half the brick or other masonry unit would be below the finish floor. Of course, the footing for this masonry mass would be independent of the foundation for the rest of the structure. The hearth could settle, or the finish floor could heave up and it would still look like you meant to build it that way!
Yeah I think this will work perfect. I was thinking last night as I went to sleep the current home we are in was originally heated by stove/baseboard as well but we installed gas furnace/central air after we were told we could not hook up stove without significant modifications.

Can you point me to some more info about "Finns" I am not sure which house this is. Never heard of it.

JohnAdamsCanada

SDR wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:40 pm
"The hearth could settle, or the finish floor could heave up and it would still look like you meant to build it that way!"

Surely we don't have to settle (ahem) for differential settlement, do we ? What happens above---a sliding sleeve to the flue ?

The matter has all to do with the soil and subsurface condition of the chosen site. Wright built Fallingwater around a boulder. Couldn't John select a spot on his land that has rock at or just below the surface---at least where the hearth will be located ?

S
I will certainly keep this idea of siting on a bolder. We are going sometime in the next few weeks to property shop again. Generally from what I have seen on previous trips we will not have trouble finding a section like this. There is a YouTube guy named Shawn James that I follow that give you an idea of the typical terrain of the area.

JohnAdamsCanada

yellowcat wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:30 pm
John,

I have been doing some fact checking and I am so wrong about the clearances for pellet stoves. Since the combustion chamber is way above floor level they do not need the 20" non combustible floor in front of them, and you can get the rear clearance to a combustible wall down to as little as 1"(depends on the model).

I have had my head filled with masonry for far too many years. Too old to change now! But, I do sleep well at night, especially in the winter.
I do agree but this old body just can't handle it and we are building according to what I can handle. A recent health scare put me in this newer mindset.

JohnAdamsCanada

Just an update but we have sold our property, moved up north with my wife. We are renting an apartment while we property hunt. It is not proving to be simple but I am very hopeful we will end up around south river, north of Toronto |Canada and be able to build our dream usonian. Once we attain the property I will be fully designing the home to get approval. We think we have a property picked. Will know more tomorrow. We have had a very emotional time in this path to become debt free and own a piece of paradise. We camped the first week here in the cold and I met a very famous youtube star our first night after spending the night in a Wall Mart parking lot. | will let my emotional wife tell the story soon. Well we are on our way and thankful as long as we do not make some very stupid mistakes. Back to design soon so I can submit to township.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Bravo, John. Simplify, simplify---but get what you need ! And love every minute of it . . .

You may send me images to post if you like. They need to be hosted to appear on the thread.

S

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

If you might be interested in a masonry fireplace that does not need a masonry foundation and can be built on a regular wood floor you should check out an ISOKERN modular fireplace.
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

JohnAdamsCanada

Thank you for the encouraging words! We will close on the property on Oct 26. Somewhat of a bowling alley property at 440' wide and 1KM long. There is a beautiful spot about 300 to 400 back from the road to the north that has a huge ledgerock for site. We will investigate sites more once we close. I have a roughed out L shaped plan that was more refined than last. Because of local codes we will need plans filed before we can even store a thing on the property or camp on it. I will post pics as soon as we are on it. Property is basically between the two houses shown on link: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/North+B ... 45.7754996

Still need to figure out foundation. I am up in the air between traditional crawl space or pier foundation. Will know more once on the property. Roof is still "up in the air". Snow load shows 2.7kP/50 PSF for this area (Lot of snow) - VERY VERY high for Ontario.

Will keep everyone up to date.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Bravo. Keep us informed. Can't wait to see what you've come up with.

A site where the footprint lies atop exposed rock seems to cry out for minimal piers---perhaps pipes, sitting on pins drilled into the rock, or the like ? The question becomes one of insulation, and bottom cover ?

Anyway . . .

S