Usonian Dreams finally becoming reality

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Roderick Grant

Re: Usonian Dreams finally becoming reality

Post by Roderick Grant »

John, since this is a very informal house, you might move the front closet to the left, blocking the unneeded hallway to the living room. This would give space to expand both the pantry and utility room. Entering by way of the kitchen would be neither odd for a country house, nor inconvenient. Another detail your one-bedroom house doesn't need is a door into the bedroom. I assume the lines north of the bathroom wall indicate the path of below ground waste pipes? Not sure what the rectangle at the point where kitchen and living room meet is. I assume the double wall to the left of the entrance is masonry? Using that same structure, if you were to nudge the lower sliding doors up slightly, flank the end bay-like element with that detail at about 3' to 4' in length, and replace the 3 windows with one slab of fixed glass, you could frame the view better. You might even add a planter outside the window, extending some inches beyond the end walls. If, at that point, the house is well above the lot, it could serve as entrance to whatever basement you choose to add.

SDR

Post by SDR »

A current dezeen issue has a piece on small houses---cabins---in various settings. This one made me think of your L-shaped plan.

https://www.dezeen.com/2020/06/13/craft ... hs_block_1

S
"As a former copy editor, I always feel I am defending the person whose name is being misspelled, not attacking the person who misspells it." Ronald Alan McCrea (1943-2019)

Post by 03445560225 »

JohnAdamsCanada wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:27 pm
Just an update but we have sold our property, moved up north with my wife. We are renting an apartment while we property hunt. It is not proving to be simple but I am very hopeful we will end up around south river, north of Toronto |Canada and be able to build our dream usonian. Once we attain the property I will be fully designing the home to get approval. We think we have a property picked. Will know more tomorrow. We have had a very emotional time in this path to become debt free and own a piece of paradise. We camped the first week here in the cold and I met a very famous youtube star our first night after spending the night in a Wall Mart parking lot. | will let my emotional wife tell the story soon. Well we are on our way and thankful as long as we do not make some very stupid mistakes. Back to design soon so I can submit to township.
You may call 03445560225 for getting more information.