Frank lloyd wright henredon furniture

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
barnfindcuda

Frank lloyd wright henredon furniture

Post by barnfindcuda »

hello, I am looking for some help.. my father in law recently passed, he had several pieces of FLW Henredon heritage furniture. we are aware these pieces have some significant value and are looking to sell to someone that can appreciate them. since my mother in law is in an assisted living facility these will help her with the expenses in the future. we are looking to find someone to outright purchase the entire collection if possible may father in law admired and drew inspiration from the works of Wright. thank you for your time. located in Racine Wisconsin.
Last edited by barnfindcuda on Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DavidC

Re: Frank lloyd wright henredon furniture

Post by DavidC »

Welcome to the Forum. I'm sorry for the loss of your Father-in-Law. Perhaps it would help to mention where you live, in case anyone here would be interested they would know if you were within driving distance. Also, you could always put the furniture up for sale as a set on eBay, with local pickup only. Or, you could contact a local auction house and let them handle it for you.

David

SDR

Post by SDR »

Prices for Wright's Heritage Henredon pieces seem strong---but not out of reach for collectors of mid-century furnishings ?

https://www.google.com/search?q=Wright+ ... 11&bih=949

This clearly demonstrates the power of Wright's name. In terms of build quality the furniture differs little from the run of American production furniture of the period; Nakashima it isn't. Nor was it cutting-edge furniture design, then or now. But it did provide a means for the average home-owner to purchase furniture designed by world-famous architect Frank Lloyd Wright---as it still does, today. And the prices, then as now quite reasonable compared to custom work by the architect, reflect that opportunity.

The design work commenced in early 1955. Apprentice Curtis Besinger relates that Mr Wright produced sketches, which he turned over to apprentices in the usual manner for completion of drawings. Besinger had the impression that when Mr Wright worked on this project "his actions seemed perfunctory." "I suspected that his sketches were made at Mrs Wright's urging, and that furniture design was part of Mrs Wright's plans for the future." (Besinger, "Working with Mr Wright," pp 280-81.)

In his 1979 work, "The Decorative Designs of Frank Lloyd Wright," David A Hanks contributes a history of the project and its reception by the press and the public. I will reproduce his ten pages on the furniture, below.

© 1979 by David A Hanks

SDR

Post by SDR »

Two chairs I do not recall seeing in the marketplace. The wood and finish are unusual: oak, possibly bare.
Could these be prototypes ?

from "The Prairie School Tradition," Brian A Spencer, ed., © 1979 by the Prairie Archives of the Milwaukee Art Center

barnfindcuda

Post by barnfindcuda »

thanks guys, I am located In Racine Wisconsin, we have quite the Wright influence here.. i've reached out to a couple of galleries, I know they have inflated prices and certainly not looking for their values. but it is nice to see the prices are strong. please post if have additional ideas. again.. thanks a bunch!

SDR

Post by SDR »

You're welcome. I wonder if a Wright-rich location would prove the best place to make a sale---or if it wouldn't make a difference. Certainly an urban or suburban locale---a college or university town---would seem to offer more opportunities, at any rate ? Best of luck, and let us know what's up !

By the way, with that six-legged chair above Mr Wright might finally have solved the stability problem that he repeatedly encountered with chairs, throughout his career. He clearly liked the appearance of the pear over the apple (as it were). Potters call it "lift": the top-heavy, small-bottom form that a lovely vase can assume.

Another unusual piece is the oval ottoman that appears in a photo part-way though Hanks's piece. I don't think I've ever seen one of those . . .

S

barnfindcuda

Post by barnfindcuda »

thanks for the suggestions. much appreciated