eBay: 'Signed drawing of S. C. Johnson Research Tower'

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.

SDR

Re: eBay: 'Signed drawing of S. C. Johnson Research Tower'

Post by SDR »

Above matter Copyright © 1995-2020 eBay Inc.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Carrie is a great-granddaughter who didn't make it on the family tree published in 1980 in the Thomas Heinz Newsletter.
I believe she is the granddaughter of John, and a former model.
This is not to say that this lot is genuine, however. It looks suspicious to me.

DRN

Post by DRN »

The drawing is suspicious...why Wright's Initials AND a full signature on such a crudely drawn and lettered sketch? A red rectangle? I don't see Wright or Howe allowing this to leave the studio if it was produced there. There is a drawing in the Christie house file with better drafting and lettering than this with a big X through it and "UNACCEPTABLE!! POOR! REDRAW!" scrawled over it.

Per the few notes on the drawing, might this be a sketch from the field of a grounding system?, but why would Herbert Johnson personally need it? Could someone have added the "Wright stuff" later to a field sketch by a tradesperson in an attempt to increase its "value"?

SDR

Post by SDR »

There are so many things wrong with this drawing that one hardly knows where to begin. Titles going horizontally and vertically, in the sort of lettering (if it were anywhere near good enough) that belongs to presentation drawings---for a field sketch ? "To HIB" ? "Electrical Utilities," on a drawing with no other reference to that subject ? Those grade-school arrows ? And, as Dan notes, a red rectangle and two signatures. Phew . . . eet steenks.

We have seen another "affidavit" letter from Ms Wright, for a similarly suspect item---a Wright letter, if I recall correctly. Besides documenting the offering I have sent a "report" to eBay objecting to the object and its representation. They don't reply to such input, they say, but make it easy to provide same. One hesitates to be specific about the faults, lest they serve to improve subsequent fakes in the market ?

S