Video: Walter House "Cedar Rock - Quasqueton, IA

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DavidC

Video: Walter House "Cedar Rock - Quasqueton, IA

Post by DavidC »

juankbedoya

Re: Video: Walter House "Cedar Rock - Quasqueton, IA

Post by juankbedoya »

DavidC wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:25 am
Cedar Rock Welcome Video - (4:22)

David
amazing video..!! thanks for sharing this..!!

SDR

Post by SDR »

Yeah---that's pretty nifty, isn't it. A growing trend (?) to full-screen video---dependent first upon a sufficiently large digital file, and then on the initiative of the presenters---is present here, and it makes a significant difference to the effect.

Wonderful property---excuse me, "estate"---and we see the boathouse properly, and in its environment---and no, the building is not "cantilevered off of" the rock formation, but that's okay. Good looking all around. I wonder still what the formwork for that roof edge looked like, and was made of . . .

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

Image Glass House

Image Walter
Image Walter as constructed
© 1993 by William Allin Storrer

Glass House section:

© The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation Archives (The Museum of Modern Art | Avery Architectural & Fine Arts Library, Columbia University, New York) except as noted
Last edited by SDR on Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

loo tee

Post by loo tee »

I was surprised to hear the state park guide pronounce "Quasqueton" the way it looks, because the locals say "Kaskie."

When I was there many years ago, there was no place other than a Casey's to buy food and supplies. It's a remote

location, even for Iowa.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Never heard of the Glass House before.
Could kick myself for not buying the Taschen volumes when they were affordable.
Can't make out the note about the steel mullions between the panels.
Would love to see a construction detail where the mullions meet the roof.

The music in the video was recorded on the piano in the garden room.
Composed and performed by Cedar Rock staff member Nathaniel Allaire.
All those birds sounds probably come from the site too.

One of the more appealing house videos.
Thanks SDR for pointing out the full screen function - Would not have gone there otherwise.

What's going on in the bathroom? That white cube sink looking thing on top of the tub? Does it move?

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I wonder if that image of FLW was taken at the Plaza? That bit of trim in the background looks like nothing he did himself.

Loo Tee, I am not an expert on native languages, but I would suspect the original pronunciation would be kas-khe-Tahn', with a short 'e' and the emphasis on the last syllable.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Walter has a unique self-contained fitting in its three bathrooms. In Storrer's photo the toilet is nearest the camera, separated from the tub/shower by a sink unit.

As usual, Storrer provides tidbits of information not found elsewhere.

© 1993 by William Allin Storrer, "The Frank Lloyd Wright Companion"

Rood

Post by Rood »

Tom wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:59 am
Never heard of the Glass House before.
Could kick myself for not buying the Taschen volumes when they were affordable.
Can't make out the note about the steel mullions between the panels.
Would love to see a construction detail where the mullions meet the roof.
One item I've not seen mentioned is that the original design (prior to the Walter House) called for the higher, clerestory roof in the living room ... to slide open. Sorry, but don't recall where I read that fact, but it was probably in an Architectural magazine ... from the 1950's. All my copies are filed away in boxes, and I'm not going to dig them out.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Looking through the matter in Monograph 6 and in Taschen III, for the 1945 Glass House and for its three offspring offered not long after---for Lowell Walter, for T L McDonald (Washington, DC)and for Vito Greico (Andover, MA)---I find no mention of an openable roof or clerestory sash. But that doesn't mean that it doesn't occur somewhere in the literature.

Oddly, while the Monograph entry for the Ladies Home Journal Glass House shows only the right-angle version of the plan (which I posted here), the text refers to a subsequent development in which the living-room pavilion is rotated to 45º from the bedroom wing. The Walter, McDonald and Greico plans all have the pavilion cranked to 60º---as do the two Glass House plans in Taschen . . .

S

Tom

Post by Tom »

It only makes sense that the clerestory should open to move air and heat.
I would have expected that I think.
Would be surprised to find out that clerestory in Cedar Rock does NOT open.
Anyone know?

Tom

Post by Tom »

Yep
Shot on Cedar Rock website shows a panel open.

Hinged at the bottom for more efficient hot air escape and protected from rain by the overhang.

I imagine this made for a right pleasant room on some days.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Storrer's last photo, above, showing the east elevation of the River Pavilion, portrays the building as having a shed roof, when in fact all roofs at Walter are flat. Yet another aspect of Wright's mastery of design is broached: one bold move at a time is enough. Where a less disciplined hand might combine the molded roof edge characteristic of this work with multiple roof pitches, Mr Wright knows not to overplay his hand: don't use all your tricks in one performance !

S

Tom

Post by Tom »

699 photographs of the house on the Cedar Rock website from visiting guests ... or maybe it’s the Google Maps site.

Lots of the built in walnut has same edge profile as roof.

Lots of fans visible in the pictures as well.

One shot of staff guide in park uniform and hat playing the piano. Bet that’s Alliare.