Edward Serlin house - NY

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
juankbedoya

Edward Serlin house - NY

Post by juankbedoya »

Hi experts, this is a little filed house I suppose. I found only two pictures on the web, but I see is very beautiful outside and inside. There's no more I can say. So do you have any kind of archive of this? architectural plans, pictures, stories, etc..? By the way in this chat there is no topic about it
Thanks.

Tom

Re: Edward Serlin house - NY

Post by Tom »

Here are some more pics - scroll right:
https://shanasigmondstudios.com/wilsker

I don't know a lot about this house.
Looks like a fine one.

SDR

Post by SDR »

In those photos, in the big double spread of the living room with fireplace: everything beyond the fireplace is an addition by Aaron Resnick. Wright designed a studio, carport and tool room there---three or four steps down from the living room---which were not built by Serlin.

I'm putting together a post of images from four sources.

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The area beyond the living room was originally a large room for a former owner's cats. In 1996 Tobias Guggenheimer restored the house to its current configuration. The exterior walls by Resnick were kept, but the interiors were altered ... and the cats dispossessed.

juankbedoya

Post by juankbedoya »

Tom wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 5:49 pm
Here are some more pics - scroll right:
https://shanasigmondstudios.com/wilsker

I don't know a lot about this house.
Looks like a fine one.
Thanks, nice pictures and I'm agree it looks a fine house. I like the stonework..!!

juankbedoya

Post by juankbedoya »

SDR wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 8:24 pm
In those photos, in the big double spread of the living room with fireplace: everything beyond the fireplace is an addition by Aaron Resnick. Wright designed a studio, carport and tool room there---three or four steps down from the living room---which were not built by Serlin.

I'm putting together a post of images from four sources.

S
Interesting. Do you have the floor plan..?

juankbedoya

Post by juankbedoya »

Roderick Grant wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 1:45 pm
The area beyond the living room was originally a large room for a former owner's cats. In 1996 Tobias Guggenheimer restored the house to its current configuration. The exterior walls by Resnick were kept, but the interiors were altered ... and the cats dispossessed.
Interesting. So we can assume that nowadays, unfortunately the house has many alterations, far from the original..?

SDR

Post by SDR »

I have four floor plans, including one published by Roland Reisley in 2001, showing the work by Guggenheimer. Photographs show that the planned extension at the opposite end of the house was never attempted; the fireplace intended for that space exists today as a niche in the outside wall, and the generous counterflashing let into that stone wall, in anticipation of an abutting roof, shows in an early photo (also in Reisley) but has apparently been removed since, according more recent color photography.

I am getting a "session timed out" notice when I try to upload images to my host, today, so nothing to post so far. (Maybe Yahoo heard me talking about them . . .?)

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

Okay---here we go. Guess my larger images choked the upload system at the web host.

Image Monograph 7 (1988)

Image © 1993 W A Storrer

Roland Reisley (2001):

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3
Image 4
© 1996 by Tobias Guggenheimer

Image© 1993 W A Storrer

Image 5

Image 6

Image 7

Image 8

Image 9

Image 10

Image 11

Plans 1, 2, 3, photo 5 © 1988 A.D.A. EDITA Tokyo Co., Ltd. and by The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation Archives (The Museum of Modern Art | Avery Architectural & Fine Arts Library, Columbia University, New York)

Images 6, 8, 10 © 2001 by Roland Reisley
Images 7, 9, 11 © 2008 by Juergen Nogai

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The addition to the NE behind the living room fireplace doesn't impinge on the original plan much. The space noted in Roland's book as an added master bedroom was actually part of the Resnick work remodeled. It was where the multitude of felines were kept. It is beyond the edge of a sudden drop in the property, and is supported by a Lally column.

The feel of the house is very intimate. The stonework is handsome. Truly an overlooked house.

juankbedoya

Post by juankbedoya »

SDR wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:07 pm
Okay---here we go. Guess my larger images choked the upload system at the web host.

Plans 1, 2, 3, photo 5 © 1988 A.D.A. EDITA Tokyo Co., Ltd. and by The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation Archives (The Museum of Modern Art | Avery Architectural & Fine Arts Library, Columbia University, New York)

Images 6, 8, 10 © 2001 by Roland Reisley
Images 7, 9, 11 © 2008 by Juergen Nogai
OMG..!! thanks so much for the info.. The studio proposed by Wright is quite better than the finally built. It's a shame that the extension is only a box. Wright's studio looks very interesting and beautiful.

juankbedoya

Post by juankbedoya »

Roderick Grant wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:18 pm
The addition to the NE behind the living room fireplace doesn't impinge on the original plan much. The space noted in Roland's book as an added master bedroom was actually part of the Resnick work remodeled. It was where the multitude of felines were kept. It is beyond the edge of a sudden drop in the property, and is supported by a Lally column.

The feel of the house is very intimate. The stonework is handsome. Truly an overlooked house.
I'm agree with you... that's why I wrote this topic..!! thanks for your information

SDR

Post by SDR »

One more image from Roland Reisley's book; caption reads "WRIGHT, WITH ED SERLIN, VIEWING 'TOPO' OF
SERLIN'S CIRCULAR SITE." COSMO-SILEO ASSOCIATES

Tom

Post by Tom »

Such a cool house. Have not read through the thread yet, but
the open center seems to contain two implied spatial axis crossing each other diagonally.
(does that make sense?)
Very open.

Reading through an essay by Neil Levine on Laugier's "Primitive Hut" idea.
The essay makes sense of all that for the first time for me.
(love running in to those kinds of things.)
Anyway he says- Wright is never to far from this: the small cabin of Emerson, Thoreau, Hawthorne ...

FrankJBaker

Post by FrankJBaker »

Was just at the property. As there are no good outside shots either on wikipedia's or google maps for the public, I asked the owner if I could photograph it. She would not allow me to and seemed concerned to know if I knew Barbara Gordon...I guess the Conservancy is in charge of posting information, which is little forthcoming at this time. Also, the Baker house is being restored with a 1905 models stucco? Somebody call Gunny Harboe whom did the Robie house restoration.