New furniture fabrication for Glenbrow

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Modmom1

New furniture fabrication for Glenbrow

Post by Modmom1 »

I hope everyone is doing well. We are fortunate to be spending quarantine at Glenbrow especially during spring!

Now with Joe retired, he has been keeping busy designing/fabricating furniture. Our most recent piece (my Mother's Day present) is a Wright inspired LED light fixture for our living room which he made with left over scraps of ash wood from the dining room table that he completed in the fall.

Photographs here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/184945691 ... ed-public/ (scroll forward/back for additional shots if you are interested)

The tower is on hiatus until after quarantine. New roofs (2), windows, doors and structure has been completed. Next phase includes electricians, plumbers and HVAC installers.

SDR

Re: New furniture fabrication for Glenbrow

Post by SDR »

Very nice, Dorri and Joe ! A great use for this newly-popular lighting technology. The table looks good, too.

What is the small piece in ash at the beginning of that photo stream ? A little table; a practice piece for the dining table ?

The removable wall to the outside storage (?) is something I haven't seen at the house, before. Do tell !

S

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

That light fixture is wonderful, Dorri. Great job by Joe!

Glad to hear that the Tower structure, exterior and roof are in place. It's such a huge undertaking you're doing. And, very worthwhile.

Thanks for saving ALL of Glenbrow - fantastic architecture!

David

Modmom1

Post by Modmom1 »

Thanks! I really love it. I cut out a row on ceiling mounted light during construction when we were so over budget and lived to regret it. This really helps and it's nice that it is on a rheostat.

SDR, We used LED lighting throughout to be more energy efficient. Since we prefer warm lighting, The LED we used is 2700K (a lot of LED is cold).

The main entrance door requires you to take a sharp right or left, making it difficult to bring in large pieces of furniture around the turn(the dining room table is 9 ft long and our counter tops were longer). The previous option was to go through french doors on the ravine side but that meant maneuvering down a steep hill, so Joe and Adam came up with this removable wall option. The closet on the exterior has French doors so they designed the wall to be removable in case it's needed with screws. You can't tell looking at it and rigid insulation keeps it warm in the winter.

As for the small table, they are bedside tables for our kid's bedroom. Joe used almost every scrap of ash wood from the table. Doesn't believe in waste.

David, If you are ever in the area again, please don't hesitate to let me know. It's a lot different since your previous visit!

SDR

Post by SDR »

That's really clever. Your house is a veritable magician's box of wonders . . .!

S

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Thank you, Dorri. We look forward to getting to see you and Joe again next time we are up your way.

David