Gerte Shavin

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DRN

Gerte Shavin

Post by DRN »

https://www.chattanoogan.com/2020/5/15/ ... Lloyd.aspx

A life well lived.

A slight inaccuracy in the article, Roland Reisley is still alive, well, in his Wright home, and I must confess, mentally more sharp than I am.

SDR

Re: Gerte Shavin

Post by SDR »

"The two are also firm believers that one must spend some time in a Wright home to get the full experience, rather than just touring one that has been turned into a museum."

“People will go in and ‘ooh’ and ‘ah’ about the home and look at little corners,” said Mr. Shavin. “But the point is that you cannot take Mr. Wright apart. There is something about the continuity of Mr. Wright that is like life itself.”

S

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Thanks for letting us know, Dan.

I had the pleasure of meeting Mrs. Shavin twice. She was very kind and gracious to us strangers who came to see her wonderful home. One thing I distinctly remember her telling us (both times) as soon as she led us into her wonderful living room was to 'Sit down. This is a home and NOT a museum. It was built to be lived in!'

It is one of my favorite Usonians. The Crab Orchard stone and stonework are magnificent. It sits on its site so well, too. And, it has a wonderful, commanding view of the Tennessee River and Valley below. She told us that since the house was sited near the very top of the hill (not typical for Wright) she and her family had a perfect view from the shed-roofed living room to watch the thunderstorms roll in from the west, then move across the valley.

I believe she was 99 years old. She was a wonderful steward of her home and she will be missed. I'm very thankful to have had the chance to have spent some time with her.

David

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Roland is a mere 94.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Besides Roland, are they any other original clients left alive now?

David

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

I think Helen Olfelt is still with us, though no longer in her house.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Thanks, Reidy. Anyone know about Bob and Mary Walton?

David

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Dr. Robert G. Walton is still living in the house. Mary died in 2017.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Mrs. Shavin - in her living room.

David