Video: Tour of Taliesin - Spring Green, WI

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Re: Video: Tour of Taliesin - Spring Green, WI

Post by SDR »

There is so much to be gained from these two sheets (found in "Wright Studies, Volume One," Narciso G Menocal, Ed., Southern Illinois University Press, 1992). The earlier sheet is labeled "Exterior Details for Mrs Anna Lloyd Wright, Hillside, Wisconsin," while the second is "Details---Sash, Doors, & Trim, Home of Frank Lloyd Wright, Spring Green, Wis." We know then, the chronological order of the drawings. Anthony Alofsin assures the reader (in the chapter in which these previously unpublished sheets appear) that the latter drawing is associated with Taliesin II, not Taliesin I, pointing to the hexagonal window in the workroom as evidence.

In the first drawing, the shoe molding (used at the junction of floor and room base) is of an unusual profile. The joinery of the mullion members consists of a tongue and mating groove which, in the second drawing, are tapered on one cheek---curiously. The large cyma molding is not developed to its final form in the earlier drawing. On the later sheet we see the fully-worked out details of the complex window sash characteristic of Taliesin from the start.

(As a reminder, illustrations posted on these pages can be enlarged to their maximum hosted size when opened in a new tab on your computer. Click on the image after opening it in the new tab.)

UpOnGoblinHill

Post by UpOnGoblinHill »

SDR I've never seen such large images of these sheets before now, thank you! The joinery details of the window mullions and sills are particularly interesting, being able to see these details really crystallizes how Wright was envisioning Taliesin's components.

I imagine with managing exterior water the idea was that most moisture would slide right off the exterior stucco, and the overlap of stucco onto the top lip of the cyma would prevent most moisture from accumulating? Though with such broad eaves as Talieisn 1 began with I can see why that wouldn't be too much of a concern to begin with!

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Just viewed the living room video from May 13. Seeing that the Wall Of Gold has been deleted fills my heart with joy! This is, without question, the most wonderful room anywhere on Earth. I will not countenance any contrary point of view.

Again we have a video with inadequate sound. I thought modern recording devices were more sophisticated. The tour guide was excellent, to the extent that one could hear what he was saying.

JimM

Post by JimM »

SDR wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:38 pm
What is the approximate date at which the original approach drive was abandoned ?S
Taliesin III, about 1925. The expansion to what is there today occurred in the late '30's.

juankbedoya

Post by juankbedoya »

For people who haven't watched it yet, here's an absolute beauty... a 3d recreation of what was the original Taliesin: Taliesin I
Very exquisite and direct, I love it much more than Taliesin III, of course the first one was only a house/studio and the third a kind of educational campus. Anyway, please delight with this.

https://vimeo.com/279915855

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Fabris Cottage - (7:19)

David

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I don't require a lot of room to be comfortable, but the Fabris Mansion is a bit extreme.
Could 2 persons sit in those two chairs without knocking knees?