Video: Tour of Taliesin - Spring Green, WI

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Re: Video: Tour of Taliesin - Spring Green, WI

Post by SDR »

Thanks, Jim; most interesting. Could the lack of structure outside the window of the second photo be due only to the natural overexposure of the daylighted portions of the image, obscuring what might in fact be there ?

Among many other things to see, both the first and the second-to-last photos have line retouching (exterior balcony in the first, folding chair in the second). If the only remaining artifact in each case was the negative, that would mean that the retouching (if original) would have to be drawn---or scratched---on the negative, a seemingly unlikely event.

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

The sort of touching-up seen in these two photos is done to clarify portions of an image that are out of focus, or (more frequently)did not appear with sufficient contrast to be legible. One used to see this sort of fix in newspaper photos, in the days when reproduction was so much less refined than it is today. I believe it can even be seen in a couple of the muck-raking front pages that were devoted to the travails of Mr Wright and Mrs Cheney---or Noel---or Hinzenberg, once upon a time.

The work on Howe's photos (done by him ?) is very fine; the point is to make the work as invisible as possible while still accomplishing the desired goal.

My favorite example of photo touch-ups has to be the image of the Pauson house, where (as usual) the contrast between a portion of the house and another part of the structure, or the sky beyond, was not sufficient to delineate the architectural form. Someone---I suspect Mr Wright, if only because no one around him would have dared submit such poor-quality work---took a pen to a print of the photo and sketched in an outline---and elsewhere on the image, added some shading---to "improve" the photograph.

SDR

Post by SDR »

To be fair, the work done on the Pauson photo achieves the desired result quite well; it is only when inspecting the modifications up close that one questions certain moves of the pen . . .or was it perhaps a grease pencil ?

S

JimM

Post by JimM »

I thought the lines defining the corner of that exterior balcony looked unnatural, so that explains it.

As far as the situation at the end wall, I'm not sure even Howe (without Photoshop) could have altered things beyond those windows. But I might have solved the location issue-or at least have come up with an explanation I can live with! Thanks to the video, I was reminded that the kitchen view must be from atop the exterior wall at the end of the hayloft; the stables would have been below. According to plans, that wall still exists in its original location and the views to the cantilevered parking area and South towards the residence seem to confirm the location.

In the video, the narrator mentions a balcony once existed in the (Southeast) corner that was enclosed and became part of the kitchen. That would be similar to the corner location in Howe's photos-providing both the roof eave and the corner end of a small balcony. Howe's photo's don't show a view in the opposite direction from the corner of the balcony, which would have helped. The lower ridge of the carriage room (perpendicular to the hayloft) prevented the original balcony from continuing to the end wall of the hayloft. However, a balcony in line with it on the other side of the ridge, would pretty much be in the same location pointed out in the video. So... most likely Howe's room was located in the current kitchen. Whether or not the balcony ever did or does intersect the adjacent ridge, I have no idea, but the terminal end of any balcony (as Howe indicates) would definitely occur at that kitchen corner.

The entrance to the apartment, as seen in the video, is at the end of the original balcony, and clearly part of the balcony was also enclosed to do so. The original hayloft did intersect the ridge and continue on to what is now the kitchen, which apparently was Howe's quarters with his own private balcony-unless at some point the original balcony was continued through the ridge to give access to rooms along its length. It would have become a private balcony when the apartment was enlarged, and part of the original balcony was enclosed to create the apartment entrance. Whew.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

SpringGreen

Post by SpringGreen »

Hi, folks!
I did not see this before this afternoon because I have been on indefinite furlough since March 13 (which is still going on). You'd think I would have had time to read these Wrightchat pages, but I've been (a) correcting Wikipedia pages on the "Frank Lloyd Wright works"; (b) making my way through Volume 5 of Frank Lloyd Wright's collected Writings; & (c) maintaining social distance. So I just read through these pages.

To SDR's question on May 11:

The red square tile at Taliesin was apparently done in Wright's lifetime. Jeanette Haber made that actual tile. However, a photograph of the tile on that square pier, before 1959, has not been discovered. According to Wright's grandson, Brandoch Peters, that is the "first" of those tiles, but I just don't know when Wright got it up there. It's a nice looking placement, the masonry wasn't changed really, and I never got the sense that there was any Olgivanna sensibility about the placement of the tile, and, really, I've been proven wrong time & again on what I think went on at Taliesin at any time, so I realize those are my thoughts.

To Roderick Grant's question on May 12, about the "trough" :
At 3:58, behind the guide, is some sort of aperture that has been awkwardly filled in with stone. What was originally there?
Looking at an internal historical document, the "aperture" was seen in Randolph Henning's book ("Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin as Seen in Vintage Postcards"), and in two photographs from Maynard Parker's session in 1955 at Taliesin. It is not known when the stone was "filled" in. It was theorized that it may have been done in the 1960s, but that's solely a theory that's based on the "look" of the stone, not on scientific analysis. I suppose more would be found out when that area of the building is worked on.

To Jim M's statement on June 26:
The apartment is located toward the end of the original exterior balcony alongside the hayloft and overlooking the work court. Not 100% certain, but this would appear to be the same location as John Howe's room as seen in contemporaneous photo's. The detailing and decor were more akin to an early Taliesin, which might be the case at the time of the initial conversion from hayloft to living spaces in the 1930's.
YES. You're exactly right.

JimM:
This photo of an assumed easterly wall with windows is problematic, since there is no structure other than a roof eave beyond.... The video clearly shows the kitchen overlooking the cantilevered parking area, which would have been beyond the wall with windows in the photo:
The wall hasn't been pushed out, but the interior plan changed when it was made into a continuous apartment for the Davisons in the 1950s. That's Allen Lape "Davy" Davison, his wife, Kay, and their children. What had been several dormitory rooms, and the old Hay Mow, was turned into one apartment with 4 bedrooms and a living room, which is what it is today.

The doorway that Howe was looking through when he took the photograph seen WI Image ID 25662 was closed & a wall was built. The entrance to the room moved.

And, lastly, JimM wrote:
There are many photos worth perusing in the WHS collection. I'm not certain, but this photo may be part of the office Wright created when he enlarged the studio, with what looks to be an enlarged photo of Robie on the wall to the right:
If you look at Randolph Henning's book, p. 19, the "part of the office Wright created while he enlarged the studio" is the roof with the lumber on it. Later he would construct a chimney on the W side of that room, which still exists.
"The building as architecture is born out of the heart of man, permanent consort to the ground, comrade to the trees, true reflection of man in the realm of his own spirit." FLLW, "Two Lectures in Architecture: in the Realm of Ideas".

SDR

Post by SDR »

Yay. Thanks Spring Green, and it's good to hear from you ! Keep on keepin' on . . .

S

SpringGreen

Post by SpringGreen »

thanks, SDR
"The building as architecture is born out of the heart of man, permanent consort to the ground, comrade to the trees, true reflection of man in the realm of his own spirit." FLLW, "Two Lectures in Architecture: in the Realm of Ideas".

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Spring Green, according to Wikipedia, the "Lincoln" myth, which was casually taken as fact, has been laid to rest. I assume you did this service? I tried to fix it myself, but jumping through Wiki hoops to gain access was more than I could tolerate. So much nonsense has been written about FLW over the years. It's good to see this bit corrected. Hopefully it will spread.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

One minor correction: The fire was indeed caused by burning leaves too close to the building, but according to John Geiger, who was there (and I believe Curtis Besinger, as well) the leaves were piled well away from the building, and FLW told them to move the pile closer, under the roof overhang. In other words, he deliberately wanted to start a fire so he could use insurance money to rebuild the structure. I don't know that Olga was in it at all.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »