Video: Tour of Taliesin - Spring Green, WI

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Re: Video: Tour of Taliesin - Spring Green, WI

Post by SDR »

There is so much to be gained from these two sheets (found in "Wright Studies, Volume One," Narciso G Menocal, Ed., Southern Illinois University Press, 1992). The earlier sheet is labeled "Exterior Details for Mrs Anna Lloyd Wright, Hillside, Wisconsin," while the second is "Details---Sash, Doors, & Trim, Home of Frank Lloyd Wright, Spring Green, Wis." We know then, the chronological order of the drawings. Anthony Alofsin assures the reader (in the chapter in which these previously unpublished sheets appear) that the latter drawing is associated with Taliesin II, not Taliesin I, pointing to the hexagonal window in the workroom as evidence.

In the first drawing, the shoe molding (used at the junction of floor and room base) is of an unusual profile. The joinery of the mullion members consists of a tongue and mating groove which, in the second drawing, are tapered on one cheek---curiously. The large cyma molding is not developed to its final form in the earlier drawing. On the later sheet we see the fully-worked out details of the complex window sash characteristic of Taliesin from the start.

(As a reminder, illustrations posted on these pages can be enlarged to their maximum hosted size when opened in a new tab on your computer. Click on the image after opening it in the new tab.)

UpOnGoblinHill

Post by UpOnGoblinHill »

SDR I've never seen such large images of these sheets before now, thank you! The joinery details of the window mullions and sills are particularly interesting, being able to see these details really crystallizes how Wright was envisioning Taliesin's components.

I imagine with managing exterior water the idea was that most moisture would slide right off the exterior stucco, and the overlap of stucco onto the top lip of the cyma would prevent most moisture from accumulating? Though with such broad eaves as Talieisn 1 began with I can see why that wouldn't be too much of a concern to begin with!

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Just viewed the living room video from May 13. Seeing that the Wall Of Gold has been deleted fills my heart with joy! This is, without question, the most wonderful room anywhere on Earth. I will not countenance any contrary point of view.

Again we have a video with inadequate sound. I thought modern recording devices were more sophisticated. The tour guide was excellent, to the extent that one could hear what he was saying.

JimM

Post by JimM »

SDR wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:38 pm
What is the approximate date at which the original approach drive was abandoned ?S
Taliesin III, about 1925. The expansion to what is there today occurred in the late '30's.

juankbedoya

Post by juankbedoya »

For people who haven't watched it yet, here's an absolute beauty... a 3d recreation of what was the original Taliesin: Taliesin I
Very exquisite and direct, I love it much more than Taliesin III, of course the first one was only a house/studio and the third a kind of educational campus. Anyway, please delight with this.

https://vimeo.com/279915855

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Fabris Cottage - (7:19)

David

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I don't require a lot of room to be comfortable, but the Fabris Mansion is a bit extreme.
Could 2 persons sit in those two chairs without knocking knees?

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Rood

Post by Rood »

Roderick Grant wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:42 pm
I don't require a lot of room to be comfortable, but the Fabris Mansion is a bit extreme. Could 2 persons sit in those two chairs without knocking knees?
Don't know, but it's probably one reason I have never been inside the Fabris Cottage ...

As for the "Engineer's Cottage" mention at the end of the video ... it was where Mendel Glickman and his wife usually lived, when they were at Taliesin. In their later years they often spent months there during every summer, helping Wes with engineering problems. One of the great tributes to Mendel and his wife is that they are both buried in the Unity Churchyard. See:

www.okcmod.com/firms/glickman-mendel/
www.findagrave.com/memorial/74733754/mendel-glickman
http://valor.militarytimes.com/hero/81707

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

SDR

Post by SDR »

https://www.facebook.com/flwtrust/video ... 982933546/

Until today I had missed the tour of the Hillside Assembly Hall that opened this thread, two months ago. There are two elements in the main space---the support of the fireplace lintel, and the carriage of the mid-spans of the balcony or mezzanine---that must be the most overt constructivist moves of Wright's early career.

The width of the fireplace opening could not have been spanned with a single stone lintel unless it were very tall---a huge piece of stone, larger than those which span the Taliesin residence fireplace or that of the Pew residence, for instance. Instead, the architect carries a more reasonably-sized lintel on a pair of projecting stones, in effect cantilevers. He trusts the mason to choose the right stones for the job !

More remarkable yet is the use of exposed timbers, again in pairs, cantilevering from corner masonry and resting on wood which penetrates free-standing square stone piers beneath the balcony. The resulting bracketing, completely exposed as one might hope it would be, must trump any other example of exposed and expressive structure in Wright's work; as such it is a gratifying surprise. Could a single beam, passing over the pier, have done the job ? Do we care ?

The whole affair is surrounded by heavy stonework at the corners of the building between which are very broad and deep glazed bays, the glass wrapping back to the masonry behind the stone corners; one has to stand in the bay to see where it returns, wide open to the trees and the sky, to the solid stone.

Arts and Crafts architects, eat your hearts out: Wright scoops the lot of you in one fell swoop. This space is a living animal or a giant tree, into which has been inserted a treehouse standing on elephant legs in the middle of the room. Astounding; space and structure breathing as one, bathed in light and shadow, open yet protective; alive.

S

Rood

Post by Rood »

DavidC wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:59 am
Tour of the Davison Apartment - (11:18)
David
Rather disappointed in the Davison apartment "tour". Can't understand why it was rushed, though work wasn't finished ... and one room was passed by, completely, because it was piled high with furniture ... furniture that might have made the appearance of the rooms not quite so dismally stark. Puzzled, too, why no mention was made of the fireplace in the back room.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Not a good start: those are "awning," not "hopper" windows. Hopper windows are hinged at the bottom, usually opening inward. And, wouldn't watchers want to know Davy's first name, and perhaps something about him ?

On the other hand, it is interesting to see bit of Maginel's work. (I had assumed her name was pronounced with a soft G
---but I've been wrong about these things before ! Haymow does rhyme with cow, not slow, surprisingly.)

Anyway, I'm happy to see yet another piece of the property, and learn even a little about its history and fabric.

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Maginel was born Margaret Ellen Wright. She was called Maggie in her youth, so the "g" in Maginel is hard.

JimM

Post by JimM »

The apartment is located toward the end of the original exterior balcony alongside the hayloft and overlooking the work court. Not 100% certain, but this would appear to be the same location as John Howe's room as seen in contemporaneous photo's. The detailing and decor were more akin to an early Taliesin, which might be the case at the time of the initial conversion from hayloft to living spaces in the 1930's.

The Wisconsin Historical Society requires written permission for reproduction, so these are links to their public pages of the photos; all attributed to Howe...

The (assumed) end of the loft balcony is in this first photo, as are crude "Taliesin" window mullions, most likely apprentice-made:
https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Records/Image/IM25661

This photo of an assumed easterly wall with windows is problematic, since there is no structure other than a roof eave beyond. Short of unknown modifications, the roof over the hayloft would have continued over this wall from Taliesin 1 on, which is the only thing making it uncertain if this is the same area as the apartment video. The video clearly shows the kitchen overlooking the cantilevered parking area, which would have been beyond the wall with windows in the photo:
https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Records/Image/IM25662

Two additional views. The first showing the balcony beyond, the second a general interior view:
https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Records/Image/IM25671
https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Records/Image/IM25655

There are many photos worth perusing in the WHS collection. I'm not certain, but this photo may be part of the office Wright created when he enlarged the studio, with what looks to be an enlarged photo of Robie on the wall to the right:
https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Records/Image/IM59825