Affleck House Analysis

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
g.dorn

Re: Affleck House Analysis

Post by g.dorn »

Tom wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:07 am
Butters sent me a .pptx file of the Affleck Restoration.
How would I post that here?

Butters also said the fireplace drew very well, but they've had to cap it -cause it's illegal for them to use it in it's present occupancy classification.

He also has an Affleck Facebook page where he updates progress on a regular basis.
Tom
probably have to load to a file server and then post a link - ie google docs, dropbox - that sort of thing

or email to those who request

May I please have a copy via email.
G Dorn
Perth Western Australia
www.dornworks.com
think, design, build

Tom

Post by Tom »

Fred Butters (FB) told me a little about the lighting.
Everything was replaced with LED.
FB said the original lighting was very dark.
They replaced the original indirect fluorescents in the living room, it was still to dark to accommodate meetings and conferences.
So they added an additional string of indirect lights but on a separate circuit.
He says the LED light is superior in quality and if you want to see the original condition you turn the new circuit off.
In the photographs it’s LED light.
The living room, especially the ceiling has probably never looked so good.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Sounds good---old or new, take your pick.

I don't do facebook---but here it is: https://www.facebook.com/AffleckHouse/

S
"As a former copy editor, I always feel I am defending the person whose name is being misspelled, not attacking the person who misspells it." Ronald Alan McCrea (1943-2019)

g.dorn

Post by g.dorn »

According to Avery archives, Mr Affleck engaged Mr Wright to do another building 1952

Project 5201 Gregor Affleck house 2 (Bloomfield Hills, Michigan). Pergola House, Unbuilt Project 1952
Drawings : 10 items

https://findingaids.library.columbia.ed ... 1376/dsc/8
G Dorn
Perth Western Australia
www.dornworks.com
think, design, build

SDR

Post by SDR »

Affleck II

"As a former copy editor, I always feel I am defending the person whose name is being misspelled, not attacking the person who misspells it." Ronald Alan McCrea (1943-2019)

g.dorn

Post by g.dorn »

wow - plan reads like an expression of the pilotis.

man would love to have a look at the framing plan for the carport cantilever roof

oh - with avery archives - can now- if they have the full construction set of drawings!
G Dorn
Perth Western Australia
www.dornworks.com
think, design, build

SDR

Post by SDR »

Affleck 2 should be understood as yet another iteration of the Ralph Jester project, perhaps Mr Wright's most-often replayed design. A stripped-down version was finally built, after Wright's death.

http://wrightchat.savewright.org/viewto ... =2&t=10631

http://wrightchat.savewright.org/viewto ... =2&t=11884

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Either Jester or Vigo Sundt.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Is this a knock-knock joke, RG ? Jester or Vigo Sundt what ?

S

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

Wasn't there a VC Morris house with a similar concrete roof? I've always wondered if such a roof was ever built and if it has survived well or not. So many thin-shell concrete structures have proven to be short-lived.

g.dorn

Post by g.dorn »

Ive been to the R. jester house that Bruce Brooks Pfeiffer built up the hill at Taliesin west. Quite a memorable experience, walking into circular lounge room from a square terrace. Got a real sense of being inside Geometry.

I'd also have to say the building did nothing to ameliorate the Arizona late afternoon /evening heat.
G Dorn
Perth Western Australia
www.dornworks.com
think, design, build

Tom

Post by Tom »

The Jester house at TWest - is the living room roof concrete?

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

SDR, I thought you read between my lines.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Bruce's version of Jester is interesting. It might have been better if the original scale had been adhered to, but additional head height was added to accommodate Bruce's father's tall frame. The house was meant for the elder Pfeiffer. Another flaw in the built version is the uniform use of stucco (and no, the roof is not concrete). Jester had massive stone columns supporting a "lid" covering the terrace, with thin, non-structural plywood cylinders containing the enclosures. It had both a feeling of solidity and weightlessness. Bruce's version does not differentiate between the columns and rooms.

Although the Jester Project was not intended for a desert environment, it may have seemed a good idea at the time. I visited the house in the dead of winter, so the heat was not oppressive. The site for Jester in Palos Verdes was more appropriate, but did not allow for those occasional blustery, wet winters that pass through California around January now and then. The use of the outdoor terrace might have been a bit frigid with the winds coming off the nearby ocean, amped up by the Venturi effect caused by the array of columns. But during the 90% good-weather days, it would have been a delightful place, with salt air breezes obviating a/c.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Useful observations. I take issue only with the contention that the curved plywood walls of the Jester design would not be structural. They had better be, as the roofs of the majority of the spaces they enclose have no other means of support. And they would be well suited to perform that function; a curved wall is radically different in its structural performance from a flat wall of the same material. Jefferson demonstrated that with his serpentine brick wall, and the same physics would apply to the curved walls at Jester. Curving a sheet of heavy paper or card stock quickly demonstrates the effect.

I do not assume that the Pfeiffer residence was built with thin plywood walls. It is certainly the case that such a wall is a great deal more trouble to construct than a flat wall---assuming one does not have access to the means to create curved plywood of a certain thickness in a press or over a male form. Bending flat plywood is not as easily done as the average layman assumes it to be; curved plywood is properly made by gluing the plies to each in the intended shape.

Illustration courtesy the Journal of Organic Architecture + Design