Affleck House Analysis

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Tom

Re: Affleck House Analysis

Post by Tom »

If the roof is concrete that place bakes people.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

True, curved plywood is strong and supportive, but remember that these cylindrical walls were interrupted by narrow bands of glass, so each cylinder consisted of a lower wall and an upper wall, with the slenderest of mullions between them.

I am not sure what construction of the walls in Bruce's house are, but they are not exposed plywood. Every surface is stucco and thicker than a plywood wall would be. Perhaps Rood would be the best source of information on this house?

SDR

Post by SDR »

Good point. The living and dining cylinders have those window slots; the other spaces do not. Still, Archilogic's images show absolutely no means of support, there; I would want wood or steel verticals to wed the upper and lower halves of those walls. Wright's elevation of Jester seems to show something other than clear glass, there---maybe Pyrex tubing ? But that's irrelevant to the structural matter.

The Archilogic digital model video, flawed but useful, is not in evidence online now.

© The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation Archives (The Museum of Modern Art | Avery Architectural & Fine Arts Library, Columbia University, New York)

HOJO

Pfeiffer

Post by HOJO »

A long time ago I knocked on the wall and it sounded hollow. I asked BBP if it was a wooden construction and he nodded.

SDR

Post by SDR »

I'm not sorry it got built---but I'd still like to see something closer to Wright's original version come into being, somewhere, someday.

I do believe Jester has more descendants---all of them on paper only---than any other Wright design. Maginel Barney runs a distant second---unless I'm forgetting another multiple. No two of the hemicycles is really the twin of another . . .

S

Rood

Post by Rood »

The walls of Pfeiffer House were built with 2 x 4's ... and before the walls were enclosed, fiberglass batts were stapled in ... but during that night a strong wind came up. The next morning most of those batts were found scattered all over the mountain side.

Most of the construction was done by a three-man team of hired workmen, who usually worked for the Foundation. One summer day, when they happened to be at Taliesin West, the men's locker room caught fire. The small group of people in residence at the time tried to put the fire out ... but there was no water pressure in the hoses. As the source of water was the Fellowship pool (not the triangular pool), one of those three workmen dove into the pool, where he found a sheet of paper at the bottom of the pool, covering the outlet.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Affleck House exterior wood finish:
Talked with Fred Butters today about finishing the exterior.
The only exterior finish they have done are the skylights and the long parapet for the deck.
They dismantled the deck, and installed new framing.
They stripped the wood planks and used Sikkens Cetol 1 as the base coat and Sikkens Cetol 23 for the top coats.
Butters says Sikkens is a very tough but very finicky product to use. It sets up fast.
You have to know how to use a brush.

Looks like PPG has bought Sikkens/Cetol for sales in North America:
https://www.twincreeksloghomes.com/blog ... ns-to-you/

SDR

Post by SDR »

I hope you're working on a book or some memoirs, Rood; you have a priceless trove of anecdotes---and who knows what else !

S

Rood

Post by Rood »

SDR wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:24 pm
I hope you're working on a book or some memoirs, Rood; you have a priceless trove of anecdotes---and who knows what else ! S
Hmm... something I've resisted doing for decades. Indeed, Indira recently begged me (again) to finally submit something for the record. And ... some want a tell-all book, while others say for God's-sake please don't! It was for the latter reason that I refused to be interviewed for the book on the Fellowship, and for other book projects. Maybe if I live long enough everyone with any qualms about reading about themselves will be dead ... because I don't like to self-censor myself. I'm not afraid of embarrassing myself, either. If I ever did sit down to write something about life in the Fellowship, I'd try to be perfectly honest. Unfortunately, a book of anecdotes simply wouldn't do.

SDR

Post by SDR »

That's perfectly sound thinking. So, do it for the next generation. One thing is undeniable: you can't tell the story if you weren't there, and those who were are thinning out. I suppose it wouldn't be the first time that History has had to wait its turn to be told ?

Another fact is that no two experiences at Talesin were identical---by a long shot. Everybody who was there has a unique perspective on the thing, and thus is a priceless resource.

And, there's no law that says you only get one crack at it. Not to draw comparisons, but E Tafel published two memoirs--the first his personal scrapbook of time spent with Mr Wright and (F)ellows, the second a collection of thoughts and memories contributed by friends and colleagues.

Anecdotes now, the nitty-gritty later ? You could agree to be interviewed---in a whisper . . .

S

Tom

Post by Tom »

I'd say 'just do it' - swoosh

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The perpetrators of "The Fellowship" convinced John Geiger their intention was to do an even-handed history without any salacious gossip, and apparently that was an honest representation at the time. However, the publisher, Judith Ragan, publisher of "If I Did It, Confessions of the Killer," rejected the first draft and demanded they "look under the sheets." I bought a copy at a book signing before all was revealed about all that had been revealed. Writers Zellman and Friedland were very nervous at the reception.