RESIDENCE B - Hollyhock House

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Re: RESIDENCE B - Hollyhock House

Post by SDR »

Thank you David ! I was curious about the corner window in the second photo, which appears from a different angle in another Teske photo.

S

Tom

Post by Tom »

Strikes me as highly experimental on the exterior.
Plan reminds me of Coonley.
Wonder what the interiors were like?

SDR

Post by SDR »

Residences A and B display certain exterior effects which are not found at Hollyhock House. These include projecting horizontal roof elements, and the outlining of planes or cubic forms with thick and decorated molding---outlining the cube, in the more radical instance; in residence A this occurs on the top-most roof.

This effect may have precedent, in its cubic form, in Wright or elsewhere; it appears in concrete in 1924, at the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity house for Madison, and again five years later, in non-orthogonal form, on the roofs of a pavilion at the San Marcos Water Gardens.

The same effect may be found, in fact, in three Schindler projects of 1923: in a scheme for Mrs Clode Warne; in the built version of the C P Lowes residence; and in another unbuilt house for Mrs M Davis Baker.

The Residence A drawings bear Schindler's mark, under the word "drawn"; the Residence B drawings are not so marked.

Residence A:

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

There is a similar roof treatment at Freeman and, minimally, at Storer. The unbuilt house for Lowes was not RMS, it was by FLW, as seen in Wendingen, a plaster precursor of Storer.

I believe Residence A was sketched by FLW as the Director's House, and RMS fleshed it out considerably. The plan has elements that are not Wright.
Residence B is very unlike anything (in detail) that FLW had done before, but it did have those lapped boards, which appear in later 1920s schemes.
BTW, the first 2 Getty views by Teske are of the bedroom window at the west end of the north wing of the house.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thank you. I do not see the specific features I'm talking about---outlining of a cubic form, or molding placed parallel to the edges of a plane at two or more axes---at Storer. The variant which appears on the Warne house, below, where stepped parallel boards continue inward from the perimeter on adjacent planes, is seen in Lloyd Wright's Taggart residence and even the stair enclosure at Hillside which we noted a while back . . .

You do have a knack, lately, for misreading a post in a way which gives you something to "correct" ! (I recognize the tendency, which afflicts me as well . . .) Time for new glasses, maybe ?

I was referring (as I said) to the built Lowes residence by Mr Schindler.

juankbedoya

Post by juankbedoya »

SDR wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:00 pm
Residences A and B display certain exterior effects which are not found at Hollyhock House. These include projecting horizontal roof elements, and the outlining of planes or cubic forms with thick and decorated molding---outlining the cube, in the more radical instance; in residence A this occurs on the top-most roof.

This effect may have precedent, in its cubic form, in Wright or elsewhere; it appears in concrete in 1924, at the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity house for Madison, and again five years later, in non-orthogonal form, on the roofs of a pavilion at the San Marcos Water Gardens.

The same effect may be found, in fact, in three Schindler projects of 1923: in a scheme for Mrs Clode Warne; in the built version of the C P Lowes residence; and in another unbuilt house for Mrs M Davis Baker.

The Residence A drawings bear Schindler's mark, under the word "drawn"; the Residence B drawings are not so marked.

Residence A:
Thanks for these pictures of "A". It's nice to see its architectural plans. I dislike those decorative moldings. Can't wait to see Residence A back.

juankbedoya

Post by juankbedoya »

Roderick Grant wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:27 am
There is a similar roof treatment at Freeman and, minimally, at Storer. The unbuilt house for Lowes was not RMS, it was by FLW, as seen in Wendingen, a plaster precursor of Storer.

I believe Residence A was sketched by FLW as the Director's House, and RMS fleshed it out considerably. The plan has elements that are not Wright.
Residence B is very unlike anything (in detail) that FLW had done before, but it did have those lapped boards, which appear in later 1920s schemes.
BTW, the first 2 Getty views by Teske are of the bedroom window at the west end of the north wing of the house.
So do you think that B is more Wright's than A..? Well I see B and it's massive volume reminds me some way some prairie houses and Unity Temple.

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

Isn't Kathryn Smith's book on Hollyhock the authoritative history on the entire project? It's a shame the block was butchered, but I'm grateful for the land that does exist as public space. I look forward to seeing the restored director's house next time I'm in LA.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Juan, to be blunt, I don't know where FLW ends and RMS begins at Residence B. I do know that FLW altered B when he moved into it because he was dissatisfied with the house as built.

Modmom1

Post by Modmom1 »

I purchased the Getty Museum published book, Spirit into Matter-The Photographs of Edmund Teske, several years ago because it included photographs of Tony Smith, Tony's wife Jane Lawrence and Ted van Fossen that Teske took during their time together in Los Angeles. There is a chronology section in the book that states:

Aline Barnsdall invites Teske to live and workin Studio Residence B at Hollyhock House. He becomes friend and assistant to her until her death in 1946.

Meets and establishes a friendship with Man Ray. Becomes friends with John and James Whitney, tony Smith, Jane Lawrence, Gerald Nordland, Ted van Fossen, Hazel Guggenheim McKinley and Richard DeMille (son of film director Cecil B. DeMille). Attends film Screenings at the American Contemporary Gallery, Hollywood, where he meets the great silent film director D.W. Griffith.

1947-48
After the death of Aline Barnsdall continues to live and work in Studio residence B. Travels to SF for the first time.

Vacates Studio Residence B because it is scheduled for demolition. Moves into a studio apartment in Laurel Canyon formerly occupied by sculptor Tony Smith and his wife, the actress Jane Lawrence.

If anyone is interested I was able to purchase this hardcover book used online for under $10.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Rood

Post by Rood »

Modmom1 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:52 pm
I purchased the Getty Museum published book, Spirit into Matter-The Photographs of Edmund Teske, several years ago because it included photographs of Tony Smith, Tony's wife Jane Lawrence and Ted van Fossen that Teske took during their time together in Los Angeles. There is a chronology section in the book that states:

Modmom1 ... Who compiled that chronology section ... It appears to be very similar to the one compiled by Pamela Blackwell for the book: Images From Within: The Photographs of Edmund Teske copyright 1980, by The Friends of Photography

Modmom1

Post by Modmom1 »

Rood,

The Chronology was compiled by Michael Hargraves. Pages xxi-xxv: 1911-2000.

g.dorn

Post by g.dorn »

you can get the web link of the images , via looking into the page source then images

G Dorn
Perth Western Australia
www.dornworks.com
think, design, build