RESIDENCE B - Hollyhock House

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
juankbedoya

RESIDENCE B - Hollyhock House

Post by juankbedoya »

Hi guys, while Residence A is currently on restoration and we're staying home due to covid I have some topics in mind... I didn't know a lot of "Residence B" which sadly was demolished, I don't found neither architectural plans no pictures, anything on the internet. So please experts, do you have the information and history of this part of Hollyhock..?

SDR

Re: RESIDENCE B - Hollyhock House

Post by SDR »

There are three pages of drawings, and a photograph, in Monograph 4. Taschen II has that, and three additional photos. Tomorrow I will post what's available.

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

Monograph 4; Taschen II
ImageImage

Edmund Teske photos, 1945

© 2009 by TASCHEN GmbH, © 1985 A.D.A. EDITA Tokyo Co., Ltd. and by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation

SDR

Post by SDR »

Lettering on these drawings suggests R M Schindler as the drafter; see capital B and R . . .

Further enlargement of plans; open image in new tab:

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The first image in SDR's post is of the west façade (facing Edgemont) as it appeared shortly after construction under either RMS's control or Lloyd's (there is a lot of confusion about dates with respect to this entire commission). In 1923, FLW spent some time in Hollywood trying to establish a California-based practice, which never came to fruition. For part of that time, he resided in Residence B, and remodeled the exterior of the central living room mass. In the above drawings that SDR has posted, there are faint indications of that mass, a boxy addition, no more than a false front one might find on a movie lot, with nothing behind it. There is an image of it as altered on Page 172 of Kathryn Smith's book on the project, along with other exterior and interior shots.

After Wright, Barnsdall asked RMS to remodel some interiors of B, which she used while in town, rather than the main house, which she gave to the city of Los Angeles in 1927. At some time, shortly before the house was demolished, photographer Edmund Teske lived in the house as a caretaker, and photographed some interiors. An old friend of mine, who grew up in West Hollywood, recalls wild parties in B in the 40s. A skylight above the living room fireplace was destroyed sometime along the way, giving a clear view of the nighttime sky. That may be the source of the myth that the skylight in the Hollyhock living room could be opened so "stars reflected in the moat," a silly and false anecdote, which, by the way, Brendan Gill, author of "Many Masks," repeated while on a tour through Hollyhock, which I gave.

SDR

Post by SDR »

I'm sure you corrected their erroneous beliefs. A photo in Hoffmann, p 108, shows a flat-topped clerestory above the skylight, quite unlike anything seen in published section drawings of the chimney and skylight . . .

The Residence B sections bear some added scribbles on the roofs---some sort of mansard-like additions ?

S

juankbedoya

Post by juankbedoya »

Roderick Grant wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:01 pm
The first image in SDR's post is of the west façade (facing Edgemont) as it appeared shortly after construction under either RMS's control or Lloyd's (there is a lot of confusion about dates with respect to this entire commission). In 1923, FLW spent some time in Hollywood trying to establish a California-based practice, which never came to fruition. For part of that time, he resided in Residence B, and remodeled the exterior of the central living room mass. In the above drawings that SDR has posted, there are faint indications of that mass, a boxy addition, no more than a false front one might find on a movie lot, with nothing behind it. There is an image of it as altered on Page 172 of Kathryn Smith's book on the project, along with other exterior and interior shots.

After Wright, Barnsdall asked RMS to remodel some interiors of B, which she used while in town, rather than the main house, which she gave to the city of Los Angeles in 1927. At some time, shortly before the house was demolished, photographer Edmund Teske lived in the house as a caretaker, and photographed some interiors. An old friend of mine, who grew up in West Hollywood, recalls wild parties in B in the 40s. A skylight above the living room fireplace was destroyed sometime along the way, giving a clear view of the nighttime sky. That may be the source of the myth that the skylight in the Hollyhock living room could be opened so "stars reflected in the moat," a silly and false anecdote, which, by the way, Brendan Gill, author of "Many Masks," repeated while on a tour through Hollyhock, which I gave.
Thanks for this stories and anecdotes... So who is the true author of Residence B..? RMS, Wright, Lloyd..? Do you know the reason of its horrible demolition..?

juankbedoya

Post by juankbedoya »

SDR wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:03 am
There are three pages of drawings, and a photograph, in Monograph 4. Taschen II has that, and three additional photos. Tomorrow I will post what's available.

S
OMG you have tons of information... Thanks so much. This is the very first time I see "Residence B" and to be honest it looks better than I imagined. I like it over Residence A. It looks bigger than 'A', doesn't it?Do you know if someone has the interior pictures?. Greetings from the other side of the continent..!!

SDR

Post by SDR »

I think we can be confident that this is Wright's design, perhaps (like many another) committed to paper by a subordinate, while Mr Wright was in Japan or elsewhere.

The Monograph text clearly states that the house was sold to a developer by the original client's daughter, whereupon the house was removed---presumably to make way for other construction ? What is there, if anything, today ? See below for site plan and aerial photo showing the location of the house on Olive Hill.

(I wrote that the clerestory "lantern" above the Hollyhock House fireplace is not seen in published drawings---yet there it is, quite clearly, in Roderick's section drawing, published on page 25 of Donald Hoffmann's book.)

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

Two aerial photos and a site plan; in each case Residence B is at left, Residence A is above and to the right of Hollyhock House.

© 1992 by Donald Hoffmann

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

One of the Hollyhock docents in the 80s said that she and her husband had looked at Residence B while house-hunting "after the war", which would have been around the time Aline Barnsdall died (in Residence B, they say). It was by then a crash pad for hoboes (in the parlance of the day). Apparently the daughter thought it beyond saving, especially with back taxes due.

Aline's gift to the city was only the interior portion of the block plus an access road (visible at upper right in the first of SDR's aerial photos); she kept the rest. When last I heard, her heirs still owned the eastern, Vermont-facing side of the block.

SDR

Post by SDR »

This page includes an aerial photo of the central features of the site: https://www.allardrealestate.com/hollyhock.htm

And here's a recent aerial of the site: https://www.google.com/maps/place/4804+ ... 18.2946179

S

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The view that Reidy posted of the new "Villa Edgemont" is to the south of where B was located. The large, old apartment building north of that is where B was located. B was somewhat larger than A, but appears larger because it was sprawled across a steep slope, while A was more compact.

FLW designed the whole shebang, but so many other hands got into the soup that it is hard to know precisely what details were FLW and which were others'. RMS was working out of Wisconsin for part of the time, while Lloyd was living in Hollywood, and was responsible for some of the perspective drawings. In addition, Aline meddled, as did her accountant and contractor. The whole thing was a mess from beginning to end. Visiting the finished house for the first time, FLW said, "Well, at least it's here."

There are some photos of the interior in Teske's books, but they are not easy to find. Online, "Edmund Teske Photography - Image Results" has many photos of Jim Morrison, but nothing of Residence B. There is a collection of Teske's work at the Center for Creative Photography at ASU, which has a site, and may include interiors. The Getty in Malibu has a collection, but none of the Barnsdall images.

The section referred to is of the house as it is. The "lantern" was built by Lloyd in 1946. The original skylight was a slab of glass only slightly above the roof.