Wright's Glass House Quote?

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Matt2

Wright's Glass House Quote?

Post by Matt2 »

I've heard a number of variations on what Wright said to Johnson upon entering the Glass House: “Phillip, am I in or out? Do I take my hate off or leave it on?”

Is there any way to track down the most authoritative quote?

SDR

Re: Wright's Glass House Quote?

Post by SDR »

Okay---here are five pages of Johnson and Wright, and a page of the author's notes that support the material. This is Franze Schulze, Philip Johnson: life and work (U of Chicago Press, 1994). Your quote is found on page 224.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

DRN

Post by DRN »

I recall reading an account of an afternoon Wright spent at Johnson’s Glass House in Pedro Guerrero’s book, “Picturing Wright”.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks, Dan. Pedro Guerrero, Picturing Wright, pp 101-102:

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

Thanks for the references...just what I needed. I had thought this quote happened at some party or gathering. I've always thought such an event...with Wright, Johnson, and other notable...set in the glass house, would make a great play.

SDR

Post by SDR »

And, we might wish to have had Pedro tell us what was said in the car, driving back to New Canaan that afternoon ? I gather that only he and Mr Wright drove to see Johnson and Barr ?

S

jay

Post by jay »

The story was also told in the recent-ish book "Architecture's Odd Couple". I don't have a copy though, can't check its source.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The house and hat story was told by Johnson himself in the documentary by Ken Burns, in which it was Wright talking directly to Johnson, rather than to the maid. Johnson said that FLW entered, took his hat off, put it on, took it off again, and said "I don't know whether to take my hat off or put it on." Of course, Johnson and truth were not necessarily on the same page all the time. He may have edited the entire situation.

SDR

Post by SDR »

It would be natural, for someone not more fastidious, to remove the maid from the picture when telling the story. I am reminded of a family friend who enjoyed regaling others with some entertaining exploit. When her daughter righteously exclaimed, on one occasion, "But Mother, it didn't happen that way !", she happily replied, "But it makes a better story . . ."

S