History of Plate Glass?

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Matt2

History of Plate Glass?

Post by Matt2 »

Anyone know much about the Post WWII advent of huge plate glass windows? Many Case Study homes had floor to ceiling glass. I don't recall many pre-war examples of this. Was plate glass a WWII innovation the moved from military to civilian use? What were the largest windows Wright designed?

SDR

Re: History of Plate Glass?

Post by SDR »

I'm trying to think of how large sheets of glass might have been useful during wartime.

Maybe those big war maps, like they have in the movies---with the lights and arrows and ships and planes ?

Target practice ? Picture windows in submarines ?

S

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

SDR

Post by SDR »

A new page layout for Wikipedia ?

There might be more on the timeline elsewhere in this book:

DRN

Post by DRN »

Large pane plate glass was developed primarily for mercantile use. This brief history of urban storefronts may fill in some gaps:
https://dahp.wa.gov/sites/default/files ... r_2014.pdf

Tom

Post by Tom »

Surely Tugendhat (1928) must be considered at least one of the early uses of large architectural plate glass.
Villa Savoy is same time frame. The large plate glass of the sliding living room walls - another example.
I don't think Wright ever used plate glass like that.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Neutra's Lovell Health House of 1929 uses plate, as well.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Wright calls attention to the large single-pane glazed door at his first Chicago studio, telling the reader that it was perhaps the first such to be found there. Later in the Autobiography he refers to polished plate glass as "a gift to the architect" in so many words. A photo of Goetsch-Winckler has stood, for me, as an example of what he liked about the material: perfect reflections provided by its perfect surface.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

He also claimed that the entrance doors at Larkin were the first frameless glass doors.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Tugendhat, 1927: https://www.archdaily.com/157555/ad-cla ... n-der-rohe

Large windows slide down. Angled bars at mullions are part of an awning system, I think.

Larkin; I suppose "frameless" was a relative term, for Wright at the time ?

BhamRuss

Post by BhamRuss »

If you Google "One Woodward Avenue", which is an early Yama building in Detroit, and search "Images" you'll find some extremely tall lobby glazing. I've been told that the only way to get glass that tall was to use the glass in tension. So the sheets are actually clamped at the head.

SDR

Post by SDR »

I'm not sure that glass over a certain height needs to be suspended, but the trend in transparency in lobby enclosures seems to have fostered glazing innovation. The new Salesforce Tower in San Francisco has three tiers of bent glass enclosing its airy lobby, with the lowest one standing on the pavement and the two above apparently resting on suspended rails; pairs of vertical rods support those rails, freeing the design of vertical mullions altogether, with the greatest degree of transparency occurring at pedestrian eye level.

Cesar Pelli's last skyscraper . . .

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/5cwQga2 ... G_1469.JPG

https://live.staticflickr.com/1777/4398 ... 9751_b.jpg

https://images.adsttc.com/media/images/ ... 1519295907

S