*SOLD* - JAMES CHRISTIE HOUSE IN NJ?!?

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
toddlevin

*SOLD* - JAMES CHRISTIE HOUSE IN NJ?!?

Post by toddlevin »

Hi all: I just noticed on "Wright On The Market" that the James B. Christie House in Bernardsville, NJ is now listed as 'sold' as of 2/20/20? I know this house had been on the market for a number of years and suffered the death of a thousand price cuts, after the most recent owner (over-)paid $1.7MM and then tried to flip it about six months later for $2.2MM after doing a not-very-well-done reno/touch-up. I imagine this sale was private because the seller probably took a real bath in the end, but does anyone know anything about the situation at all, final price, etc? Thanks to all on advance! T

DavidC

Re: *SOLD* - JAMES CHRISTIE HOUSE IN NJ?!?

Post by DavidC »

I don't know what it sold for. But, the last listing price (via: Zillow) was for 1.495 million on 10/1/2019 - subsequently taken off the market on 12/16/2019.

David

DRN

Post by DRN »

I know the former owner of the house who just sold it.
In the last 3 years, the house received a new roof, a new AC unit ( the house has had some amount of air conditioning since at least the 1950’s), site storm water drainage issues were addressed to protect the house, and about a third of the original windows and French doors, which were in rough condition, have been replaced with new units made per the original drawings...thermal glazing was adapted into the original sash design.

He did (W)right by a very good house, and should be lauded by all who seek to have the built legacy of Wright preserved.

toddlevin

Post by toddlevin »

Hi all: First things first - mystery solved - I can confirm the final sales price was $1,350,000. Secondly - to DRN - thank you. I respectfully partially disagree - I viewed the house last year. The concrete floors throughout (except the master bedroom) require serious conservation (possible complete replacement, but impossible to know), and were in very rough shape. In an effort to camouflage that fact, the floors were painted (!!!) a version of Wright's Cherokee red - which was cracked, chipped, and flaking very badly in many areas. The A/C you mention was not installed throughout the entire house, but only in the common area at the front of house, which I did not understand - there appeared to be no A/C in any of the bedrooms (as far as I could tell). The roof was redone, but still seems totally flat, and does not appear to be ever so slightly pitched for the benefit of water/snow drainage. Aside from the work your friend did indeed do, I also felt the house *still* required significant interior work/updating, at significant future expense. So I found it all to be a very mixed bag. Best, T

SDR

Post by SDR »

When a house changes hands, we wait for word of---or, better, from---the new owner. In the meantime, here's some existing material on the house.

ImageImage

DRN's photos. It seems to me that the trellis cantilever in this case is a (literally) unsupportable design; there just isn't enough depth opposite the fulcrum, in the "lantern," to house the onboard end of an effective beam---absent a vertical tie rod to the slab, which would pass by the noses of those seated at the corner of the living room !

Last edited by SDR on Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DRN

Post by DRN »

The AC is and always was in the living dining area; nowhere else. Placement of ductwork is impossible within the roof framing as designed by Wright. The masonry mass near the boiler room and fireplace has a small space in which the unit can fit and grille work can be set....it takes the edge off and controls humidity.

The house’s radiant system has required patches over its lifespan...not sure when the last repair was made. Concrete cuts were not well made and patches were not made to match the original tint. A previous owner in the 70’s applied a vinyl floor to cover the patchwork. When this was removed the painting was done...the color could stand to be closer to the original. It should be noted the master bedroom suite (Wright’s design) was added about 20 years ago.

SDR

Post by SDR »