Alert: Wright Chat outages this week

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
pmahoney

Alert: Wright Chat outages this week

Post by pmahoney »

Wright Chat will be temporarily unavailable for parts of this week, (February 18-24) due to necessary maintenance on the Conservancy’s website. The exact times and durations of these outages are not yet known, so we urge you to save offline copies of any posts you write , in case an outage begins while you are editing. We expect Wright Chat to return to full normal functionality by the end of the week, and will post an update on this note once work is complete.

Pat Mahoney / Moderator

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Thank you, Pat, for letting us know. And, for all of the work you do 'behind-the-scenes' here at WrightChat!

David

pmahoney

Update on Wright Chat upgrade

Post by pmahoney »

Here is an update: note that the upgrade has been completed and no further Wright Chat outages are expected.

Things will appear a bit different with this upgrade, but hopefully all content and functionality remain.

If users encounter errors, particularly with logging in, they may need to go through the password re-set procedure. If that doesn’t solve the error, they should email preservation@savewright.org for assistance.

Pat Mahoney

DavidC

Re: Alert: Wright Chat outages this week

Post by DavidC »

Pat, this is fantastic! Please give BIG THANKS to all who have worked on and supported this upgrade!

Thank you, so much!

David

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Though, it looks as if the search feature is only looking at things post-upgrade, so far.

David

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

It now looks like the search function is up and running. For example, I just did a search on 'Pauson' and it returned 48 pages worth of finds - dating back to 2005.

David

DRN

Post by DRN »

Whew! Thanks for continuing to check that David.
It wasn't searching earlier today...this is an encouraging development. I tested the search after seeing your message just now with a word ("Malcolm")that was not in any of the posts I had updated this AM...the function found a large number of Malcolm Wells hits.
So I guess we can stand down from wracking our brains to find the large or important threads of the last 15 years.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Up next: e-mail notifications to users. I looked at my profile and I don't see a place to enter and/or link my e-mail address. There are multiple other options:

Birthday:
Facebook:
Twitter:
Google+:

even "Friends and Foes"---but no e-mail ?

S

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

DRN wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:59 am
Whew! Thanks for continuing to check that David.
It wasn't searching earlier today...this is an encouraging development. I tested the search after seeing your message just now with a word ("Malcolm")that was not in any of the posts I had updated this AM...the function found a large number of Malcolm Wells hits.
So I guess we can stand down from wracking our brains to find the large or important threads of the last 15 years.
You are welcome, Dan.

I am just wonderfully shocked - and amazed - that the folks who did the upgrade were able to bring forward all of the threads from the past. And, to do such a good job of making the upgrade/transition go so smoothly. They have ensured the future of the Forum for a (hopefully) good, long time. And, for that, I owe them much in the way of thanks!

David

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

My criticism is that when going to a site that has been posted, it no longer brings up a new tab. This is cumbersome if one wants to go back and forth.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Ongoing issues noted:

Neither Private Messaging nor the inclusion of one's e-mail---to be used either to notify users individually of forum activity, or to be made available to readers at the option of the poster---appear to be present, now.

Pat wrote, "Things will appear a bit different with this upgrade, but hopefully all content and functionality remain." Perhaps the above-noted absences were an intentional choice ?

On the other hand, it is lovely to have full use of the Search function at last. Bravo !

SDR

SDR

Post by SDR »

And a question: it is possible to elect to view a thread last to first ? That is, when clicking on a thread, to be taken to the most recent page rather than the first one---as was the norm before the redo ?

S

DRN

Post by DRN »

It would appear the login problem of the software needing to check if I am a robot at each login has disappeared in the last 24 hours.

I hadn't noticed the thread only coming up on the first page of a thread when the title is clicked...I saw the page numbers to the right and clicked on them initially.

As Pat noted...
If users encounter errors, particularly with logging in, they may need to go through the password re-set procedure. If that doesn’t solve the error, they should email preservation@savewright.org for assistance.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Now that the new Wright Chat format has been up and running for a while, perhaps a review wouldn't be out of order ?

I for one am being recognized as a member with each visit; that is, when log-in is required (not every time, now) my user name and password are on file (in my computer ? on this platform ? ) and ready to select.

The only functional disappointment for me at this point is that I do not receive an emailed notice when a thread I've posted to sees activity---despite the "Notify me when a reply is posted" box is checked.

And, there seems to be no way to select the order in which pages on a thread are displayed. I was accustomed to being taken to the current page (the one most recently viewed) on the "old" Wright Chat; now one sees the first (i.e., oldest) page of a thread when logging on; the last page is easily selected, but the change seems pointless.

Perhaps these minor flaws are easily corrected by the user, but if so I haven't found the way---yet. Perhaps they can (or cannot) be altered by administration, or a tech person ?

Thanks as ever to the Conservancy and to our administrators for operating and editing this forum. Needless to say it is an important part of my week !

SDR

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

SDR, DNR answered your question about choosing a page to go to. Look to the right of the title, and there are numbered boxes, 1 through 96 for SWCCAFLW.