The campaign against degeneracy

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
peterm

Post by peterm »

...and women, and the disabled. These are the tools of authoritarians.

Umberto Eco grew up under Mussolini and wrote an essay in 1995 about the 14 features of fascism. See if any of this describes the situation we find ourselves confronted with. Numbers 1 and 2 are particularly relevant to the topic of this thread:

1) The cult of tradition. “One has only to look at the syllabus of every fascist movement to find the major traditionalist thinkers. The Nazi gnosis was nourished by traditionalist, syncretistic, occult elements.�

2) The rejection of modernism. “The Enlightenment, the Age of Reason, is seen as the beginning of modern depravity. In this sense Ur-Fascism can be defined as irrationalism.�

http://www.openculture.com/2016/11/umbe ... scism.html
Last edited by peterm on Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sequoia

Post by Sequoia »

Cooler heads will prevail. Please fellow chatters don’t get overly emotional yet. The speed that government moves at ,as well as ,the time it takes to get a project done , this edict will have little effect.

peterm

Post by peterm »

It’s not one isolated thing, it’s the cumulative onslaught of chaos which is simultaneously the goal and tool of the authoritarian. As Eco says in his 3rd point:

“ The cult of action for action’s sake. “Action being beautiful in itself, it must be taken before, or without, any previous reflection. Thinking is a form of emasculation.� �

And for giggles: https://isitfunnyoroffensive.com/facts- ... ew-yorker/

SDR

Post by SDR »

Uh-huh---anti-intellectualism. "Disagreement is treason. 'The critical spirit makes distinctions, and to distinguish is a sign of modernism. In modern culture the scientific community praises disagreement as a way to improve knowledge.' "

Both Peter and Sequoia have cautioned patience; whatever happens now will take time. I presume those in power are waiting for the second
term for their chance to cement their position and go for broke. "History will reveal who the real losers are in this situation. It will just take time."

I agree. Waiting, and doing nothing, are two different responses, however . . .

S

DRN

Post by DRN »

This is a travesty...but I'll try to contain my outrage.
This would mean if the National Museum of the Native American or the National Museum of African American History and Culture were in planning today, their architects would be required to adhere to Neo-Classicist or Beaux Arts Classicist tenets....which are European in origin. That's sticking it to 'em....inappropriate imposition of an architectural style that by default or intent, serves as a means of control and repression.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2020/2/5/2 ... der-design

https://www.architecturalrecord.com/art ... ssical#AIA

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/05/arts ... cture.html

https://archinect.com/news/article/1501 ... tive-order
Last edited by DRN on Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Rood

Post by Rood »

One has only to look at photos of Trumps apartment in NYC to get an idea of what he considers great architecture. (You might need a pail in which to retch.)
See:

https://www.idesignarch.com/inside-dona ... t-mansion/

JimM

Post by JimM »

"A picture is worth...." no words. Wonder what has happened to the White House since his remark about what a "dump" it was...

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

*yawn*

peterm

Post by peterm »

Any educated person in their right mind who continued to support the impeached one after he publicly mocked a disabled journalist completely lost all of my respect months ago. And that moment continues in various forms on a regular basis.

Just today Lt. Colonel Vindman was fired as an act of retribution for testifying.

"Dad, I'm sitting here today in the US Capitol talking to our elected professionals is proof that you made the right decision 40 years ago to leave the Soviet Union and come here to the United States of America in search of a better life for our family," Vindman said. "Do not worry. I will be fine for telling the truth."

SDR

Post by SDR »

I doubt that Donald Trump has much respect for Britain's royal family; I wonder if he knows that with this move he's aping Prince Charles . . .

This is a man who had to be told what happened at Pearl Harbor---believe it or not.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-p ... ius-2020-1

S

outside in

Post by outside in »

I once thought that Prince Charles was off base for his suggestion that England continue its practice of neoclassicism but after recent visits to London I've come to the conclusion that his statements were quite reasonable. Contemporary English Architects have created some absolutely dreadful buildings in London which, because of their scale and materials, completely overpower the historical buildings of london. I believe his approach was ridiculed in its day, and now londoners have to live with horrible buildings. The reasoning behind 45's presidential order is completely different. He knows nothing about architecture (i.e. trump tower, and his obscene apartment). Its more about control of the arts for purposes of politics. Please do not confuse the two - they are entirely different.

peterm

Post by peterm »

outside in- You are exactly right.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks---that's helpful. It's true that cities everywhere are being transformed by the response to a perceived need for office space---and that glass is the logical cladding for these huge new buildings ?

A tiny---but growing ?---percent of new construction is dressed with live greenery. At least, that's what appears in the architectural press . . .

S

peterm

Post by peterm »

Does the man who proudly yawns have children and grandchildren who will inherit climate change, a fallen empire, a constitution in tatters, and a maniacal authoritarian leader who is pushing his divided nation in the direction of civil war? I wonder.
Last edited by peterm on Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrWright

Post by MrWright »

Can we please stop these blatantly political posts and just focus on what this chat site is supposed to be about--Frank Lloyd Wright?

A select few chatters keep falling into the same bad habits of making this an endless ideological debate about politics and it has no place here. If you want to argue at each other, then use Facebook or Twitter where that annoying and endless bickering is rampant.

Enough, already.