The campaign against degeneracy

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Pacifica has been having financial problems in recent years, and is now, according to an article in Sunday's LA Times, on the verge of bankruptcy. Seems all of the non-commercial radio and television services are in the same boat to one degree or another. Pacifica's KPFK is in an especially dire situation.

It used to be all of those stations had a yearly fund-raising week, but now, after expanding to bi-annual, quarterly, monthly, some of them are in a perpetual state of distress, showing more repeats than first-run. The current Nova series, "The Planets," has been through all nine more times than I can count. "Downton Abbey," which practically saved PBS single-handedly, runs through all 6 seasons on a regular basis, and still follows each episode with a plea for cash in exchange for a coffee mug or a tote bag.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Do you conceive of a solution to this problem ? Should "public" media outlets be subsidized by . . . the public, in the form of government guarantees ? How is this handled in other first-world nations ?

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Public media get 50% of their operating budget from the federal government and much of the remainder from foundations and businesses. That they have a problem earning the rest of what they need should tell them that they are catering to too narrow a viewer base. Perhaps they should broaden their appeal with more innovative content. There are more than enough cooking and travel shows.

outside in

Post by outside in »

NPR gets about 2% of their funding from the federal government. See below:
In 2010, NPR revenues totaled $180 million, with the bulk of revenues coming from programming fees, grants from foundations or business entities, contributions and sponsorships. Typically, NPR member stations receive funds through on-air pledge drives, corporate underwriting, state and local governments, educational institutions, and the federally funded Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB). In 2009, member stations derived 6% of their revenue from federal, state and local government funding, 10% of their revenue from CPB grants, and 14% of their revenue from universities.[24][41] While NPR does not receive any direct federal funding, it does receive a small number of competitive grants from CPB and federal agencies like the Department of Education and the Department of Commerce. This funding amounts to approximately 2% of NPR's overall revenues.[24]

SDR

Post by SDR »

"Calling Bill Moyers; calling Jim Hightower . . . We need you."

https://jimhightower.com/2018/12/censor ... lunderers/

S

jay

Post by jay »

Speaking of PBS, you can stream their recent documentary on Paul R. Williams (for free):
https://www.pbssocal.org/programs/hollywoods-architect/

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks; I caught part of that and wanted to see the rest.

Another overlooked African-American architect, a midwestern practitioner, was Harris Armstrong. His work might have appeal for Wrightians . . .

https://www.stlouis.style/harris-armstr ... residence/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/15395815@ ... 949485159/

S

Tom

Post by Tom »

Somehow my email notifications for WrightChat seemed to have stopped.
Thought this thread had gone cold.

Regarding Goodman's War and Peace Report (DN): the show has come under
criticism within the past couple of years from long term listeners
and also from former employees.
I think the criticism began with DN's coverage of The White Helmets and
the chemical attacks in Syria attributed to Assad. Also their soft coverage
on "Russiagate."
Probably the best voice among this group is Aaron Mate a former reporter for DN.
He now contributes to The Nation and The Grayzone. He has a podcast
called: "Push Back"
He's very level headed, never gets miffed or locked up in strong emotion.
His Dad is a very well known psychiatrist: Dr. Gabor Mate.

Also - don't know if anybody here has come across in the past couple of days
hit pieces in the NYT's and from CBS about Radio Sputnik and Russian "agitprop"
broadcasting out of Washington D.C. and now Kansas City.
I've been following these Russian media outlets for years now.
They sponsor some of the best voices of dissent and analysis anywhere out
there ... from my point of view.
Here are some of the shows: "By Any Means Necessary", "Loud and Clear",
FaultLines", "CrossTalk", "Keiser Report."
"CrossTalk" is braodcast out of Moscow and has a more conservative bent.
"Kaiser Report" is financial with crazy host Max Keiser - lots of fun.
The rest are bent to the left.
"Fault Lines" has two hosts, one on the right, one on the left, but they are both
strong populists.
Lee Stranahan, the host on "the right" formerly of Breitbart and personal
aquaintace of Steve Bannon is one of the first guys on the right recently that
I've been able to listen to and learn from.
His health is not good however and has recently been out sick from the show
for many days, but he's fun and fierce when on.
His partner on "the left" is Garland Nixon.

Anyway, I highly respect all of these shows.
So it was deeply dismaying to me to see the NYT and CBS just dump
empty garbage all over them.
I knew mainstream corporate news was bad,
(Rachel Maddow, for example, jumped off the deep end long ago)
but this sent me through the looking glass.

Never heard of Harris Armstrong
GREAT house.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Another prominent black architect was Clarence W. "Cap" Wigington (1883-1967), first black architect registered in Minnesota, and the first black municipal architect in the country. Since he was employed by the city of St. Paul, he was a bit limited in the scope of his designs, producing many of the high schools in the city. None of them were in the classical style, generally speaking, but you know what sort of style high schools employed in the post-WWI era. He also designed ice palaces for St. Paul's annual Winter Carnival. In his later years, having moved to Los Angeles after WWII, he designed modest houses.

peterm

Re: The campaign against degeneracy

Post by peterm »

Dictator chic, a subset of nouveau riche:
Would this be the official style, or only reserved for the impeached one?

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... ign-214877

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

There have been books, articles and broadcasts deriding everything imaginable about the President since he announced his candidacy in 2015, in an unending effort to discredit his administration. No spaghetti sticking to the wall so far. Peter York's egregious trifle is just the latest attempt. So what?

outside in

Post by outside in »

you must be kidding Roderick - PLENTY of sticking going on

SDR

Post by SDR »

He who see nothing wrong with the President must be wearing a rose-colored blindfold. If even half of his 16,241 lies (as of today) were confirmed, that would be an astounding piece of evidence . . . even for a politician !

I doubt that Mr Trump cares much about Classical/historicist architecture; he hasn't constructed much if anything in his own name that would indicate that preference. Like many another extremely insecure individual, he panders to whomever he expects will pay him obeisance; look to some uncredited hanger-on with their own agenda, who has gotten his ear on this issue.

S

peterm

Post by peterm »

No sticking? He’s been impeached.

His gangster crew? Found guilty: Manafort, Papadopoulus, Cohen, Pineda, van der Zwaan, Gates, Stone

Awaiting sentencing: Michael Flynn

Charged, indicted: 13 Russian nationals/entities, 12 Russian military intelligence officers, Konstantin Kilimnik, Manafort associate/Ukrainian aide, ... and a partridge in a pear tree.

Anyone who has paid attention and still supports this maniac after everything he has said and done is highly delusional.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Peter, I will give you a partridge in a pear tree. SDR, make up your mind: insecure or narcissistic? One cannot be both. (Hint: That is not rhetorical, there is a correct answer.) outside, I have never claimed Trump was angelic, nor that he did not keep questionable company (How would a real estate developer in NY avoid unsavory acquaintances?), nor that his attitude and behavior were above reproach, but for all the hubbub over the last 5 years, there he is, in office, doing his end of the job, while his enemies, with their rose-colored blindfolds try endlessly to bring him down.

It is a sad reality, but given the chance to choose, the overwhelming majority of Americans, asked to voice their preference - classical or modern? - would side with the former. There would even be a significant percentage of those with rose-colored blindfolds railing against him who would rather see a Corinthian-columned, domed parody of St. Peters over anything that Frank Gehry might design as a statehouse. Architectural illiteracy knows no party.