list of FLLW apprentices

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
classic form

list of FLLW apprentices

Post by classic form »

Hello, I have come to this forum with a request after searching everywhere for a list with no luck. I am looking in particular for an architect named Gordon Chadwick. I have read that he was an apprentice of FLLW. Can anyone direct me to a list or have any ideas on how to verify? Thanks.

DRN

Post by DRN »

A call to the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation's William Wesley Peters Library at Taliesin West would be a good source.

Also, the following is a link to a group of former Wright apprentices that put out a newsletter which in issues #5 and #6 contained a list of former apprentices. #5 contains the list from 1930's through the 1950's, and #6 covers the 1960's through the 1990's.

http://www.midglen.com/taliesinfellows/index.html

Though not listed in MidGlen's list, the name Gordon Chadwick is familiar to me. He was named by a docent at the Pope-Leighey house as the apprentice who oversaw construction of the Loren Pope house in VA and the Euchtman house in MD. He is also mentioned in former apprentice Curtis Besinger's book "Working With Mr. Wright, What it Was Like".

Hope this helps.

Eric Saed
Location: Minne-sO-tah Norwegian living in exile in Lubbock, Texas

Post by Eric Saed »

I have a copy of the list of Taliesin Apprentices that Carnegie-Mellon University compiled a few years ago. Indeed, Gordon Chadwick does appear on that list.

classic form

Post by classic form »

Thank you all for your replys both public and private. Using your leads I have been able to gain a bit of information on Mr. Chadwick. According to an interview with Loren Pope by Steven M. Reiss Chadwick was the Taliesin apprentice assigned to the Pope-Leighey House. He was given room and board by Mr. Pope and supervised the construction of his house and also the Joseph Euchtman House. He also worked with Curtis Wray Besinger (who apprenticed at Taliesin during the time Chadwick was there) in Aspen while working for/with Fritz Benedict. Thanks again for the help.

george nichols

Re: list of FLLW apprentices

Post by george nichols »

classic form wrote:Hello, I have come to this forum with a request after searching everywhere for a list with no luck. I am looking in particular for an architect named Gordon Chadwick. I have read that he was an apprentice of FLLW. Can anyone direct me to a list or have any ideas on how to verify? Thanks.

See Elizabeth B. Kassler:1932-1982,

The Taliesin Fellowship.a Directory

of Members(September 1981)

G.N.