eBay: Letter from FLW to Marilyn Monroe & Arthur Miller

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DavidC

eBay: Letter from FLW to Marilyn Monroe & Arthur Miller

Post by DavidC »

PrairieMod

Post by PrairieMod »

I'm almost 100% certain this is a fake

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Again with the identical signature!!

SDR

Post by SDR »

Two previous threads, each last added to in late August of last year, carried similar letters with similar attributes offered on eBay. I have failed to record these, it seems, and most of the eBay pages are no longer available.

Did anyone here make scans or screen grabs of those items ? A similarity in the signature, down to the blue ink or ballpoint used by whoever created them, was evident. I had hoped, now, to be able to compare all of the samples we had from these suspect items of correspondence.

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks, David---very helpful indeed . . .

S

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

eBay seems to have not standards of credibility at all.

HenryWhiting

Post by HenryWhiting »

The Frank Lloyd Wright letter to Archie Teater is unquestionably a fake. The address used in this 1956 "letter" is: Archie Teater, 583 River Road, Bliss, Idaho, USA. This is the current address. In 1956 the road was known as Highway 30. When I bought Teater's Knoll in 1982, the road was known as Old Highway 30 as a bypass had been built. Only in the early 1990's was the name changed to River Road and only then did we get street addresses.

Definitely a FAKE.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks much, Henry. Some of us have considered a number of these cards and letters to be forgeries, but I for one have done little to seek facts that would prove it so. You've contributed a piece of hard evidence.

I've wondered what to do about fakes like these, besides calling attention to them here. It's a pity to see the name Frank Lloyd Wright taken in vain in this manner. What would you do ?

http://wrightchat.savewright.org/viewtopic.php?t=11517

S

HenryWhiting

Post by HenryWhiting »

I have contacted Ebay and alerted them to the fraud of this letter. Perhaps others, who have concrete knowledge of other fraudulent items, letters, drawings, etc. can do so as well. I suspect it will always be an ongoing problem.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Very good. What I find astounding is that the seller has the gall to provide a "certificate of authenticity" for the item---in the form of a note which does not definitely and unmistakably
refer to the particular document it purports to guarantee; it cites only "Frank Lloyd Wright on 1956 letter"---an oddly worded and vague description.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/nScAAOSw ... -l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FRANK-LLOYD-WR ... SwN4BeMj~M

Not only is the signature inauthentic, the entire document is a fabrication, dating according the Henry Whiting's evidence no earlier than the 1990s.

The maker has either found a cache of unused Taliesin stationery or has created sheets to appear as such, has used an old typewriter to produce a
message, has distressed and aged the paper (by folding), and has created accompanying matter that attempts an impression of provenance.

Why is the (nick)name of a living Taliesin Fellow included in the backstory of this supposedly genuine letter ?

https://franklloydwright.org/frank-lloy ... test-work/

https://www.swaback.com/company/vernon-d-swaback.html

S