Making Wright Great Again ... The Next Decade

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Tim

Making Wright Great Again ... The Next Decade

Post by Tim »

As a cultural phenomena, I feel like Frank Lloyd Wright is fizzling out. An image reboot is in order.

My top 5 actions ...

1) A movie ... The Heroes journey with FLW and his architecture co-staring

2) All FLW buidlings in virtual reality

3) Destination tourism

4) Multi year Netflix documentary series

5) Find the next Wright ... Use social media, etc. to broadcast good architecture

SDR

Post by SDR »

Bravo ! Excellent year-end rumination . . .

S

SREcklund

Post by SREcklund »

I frankly couldn't care less about Wright as a "cultural phenomenon"; I think the real issue is bringing the concepts of Wright's architecture to a new generation of housing. Wright as a person is important and interesting, but it's the architectural concepts that are truly timeless - provided we make the future aware of them. So, the real challenge before us it to Make America Wright Again.
Docent, Hollyhock House - Hollywood, CA
Humble student of the Master

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright

DRN

Post by DRN »

Well put.
What is needed is for architects to design with the Wright side of their brains...quality of space and materials over quantity of them.

Architects and clients also should pledge to be honest with materials. Cultured stone is precast concrete masquerading as stone....why not use the material honestly as precast concrete tile? Why print fake wood grain on plastic laminate rain screen panel, when a man made pattern or warm tone would have the same effect? Sheet CorTen steel makes a great siding that never needs paint or stain!

SDR

Post by SDR »

At his best---over and over again---Wright employed the characteristics of his materials to make intrinsically-decorated architecture. So, in fact, did many another modernist---perhaps following his lead. (Did the Bauhaus specifically teach the same ?)

What may have turned off some of those others, at least for the first few decades after his death, was the more explicit---some would have said extraneous---decoration that Wright applied often (but far from universally) to his work of all periods.

Now, of course, we more than accept that decoration; whether we buy the architect's claim that this effluvia is "organically intrinsic" to the work, or not, we celebrate and enjoy it, as part and parcel of the work. It certainly never detracts . . .

S

peterm

Post by peterm »

I realize I’ve probably said this many times before, but the majority of Wright houses that I’ve been in or seen in photographs are decorated poorly. Brash, cluttered, and kitschy furnishings and artwork only serve to hamper the reputation of the architect and his designs. Looking at photos of houses designed by Le Corbusier or Aalto is a different matter. It’s clear that the owners for the most part respect the intentions of the architect, and appreciate art and design beyond the status symbol and pedigree.

If any of us remember the Robert Berger house in San Anselmo, Ca. decorated thoughtfully and lovingly by the new owner, it should help give us faith that these designs are timelessly modern if understood by their owners.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Heh. It seems that owners continue the tradition or practice that Wright rued early on:

"I tried to make my clients see that furniture and furnishings that were not built in as integral features of the building should be designed as attributes
of whatever furniture was built in and should be seen as a minor part of the building itself even if detached or kept aside to be employed only on
occasion.

"But when the building itself was finished the old furniture they already possessed usually went in with the clients to await a time when the interior
might be completed in this sense. Very few of the houses, therefore, were anything but painful for me after the clients brought in their belongings.

"Soon I found it difficult, anyway, to make some of the furniture in the abstract. That is, to design it as architecture and make it human at the same
time---fit for human use. I have been black and blue in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contact with my own early furniture."

"An Autobiography," 1943, p 145

S

Tim

Post by Tim »

I frankly couldn't care less about Wright as a "cultural phenomenon"; I think the real issue is bringing the concepts of Wright's architecture to a new generation of housing. Wright as a person is important and interesting, but it's the architectural concepts that are truly timeless - provided we make the future aware of them. So, the real challenge before us it to Make America Wright Again.

Contrarian without being different.

The initial post was a call to action about how to do that, not a debate about need.

peterm

Post by peterm »

So I understand this correctly, is your point, Tim, to awaken and remind the public of the relevance of Wright’s work, to inspire contemporary architects to design with his “principles� in mind, or restore and preserve existing structures and artifacts, or all of this?

Or maybe just increase the hipness factor and make the “brand� more appealing and accessible?

I’m personally not too interested in referencing a nationalistic Trumpian slogan using “America� as a marketing strategy. Wright’s architecture and ideas can and should be understood and appreciated universally.

Make Planet Earth Wright Again? Even that strikes me as being too imperialistic.

Tim

Post by Tim »

I think both.

More so this ... the long term play, for sure So I understand this correctly, is your point, Tim, to awaken and remind the public of the relevance of Wright’s work, or to inspire contemporary architects to design with his “principles� in mind, or both?

I would say brand is important. It should support the first goal, the long term play Or maybe just increase the hipness factor and make the “brand� more appealing?
Last edited by Tim on Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tim

Post by Tim »

peterm wrote:
Make Planet Earth Wright Again? Even that strikes me as being too imperialistic.
Yes indeed. A fun idea though

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

While I don't mean to tiptoe through the mine field, one might, through thorough examination, find parallels between FLW and DJT.

Tim

Post by Tim »

Roderick Grant wrote:While I don't mean to tiptoe through the mine field, one might, through thorough examination, find parallels between FLW and DJT.
Yes. Absolutely!

Leaving aside the politics.

peterm

Post by peterm »

Roderick Grant wrote:While I don't mean to tiptoe through the mine field, one might, through thorough examination, find parallels between FLW and DJT.
Tiptoe? You’ve stepped on a grenade.

Parallels:

-Both remarkably sensitive.

-Both articulate, have huge vocabularies and impeccable grammar.

-Both geniuses, and keenly aware of the needs of fellow human beings.

-Both graceful, bohemian and extremely artistic.

-Both hardworking.

-Both fit and trim through their later years.

-Both will be remembered by historians as being forward thinking.

They’re just so damned similar, I’m getting them mixed up!

jay

Post by jay »

Wright and Trump share(d) only one trait––a use of controversy/self-promotion with media/publicity––and even there the similarities aren't close.