Article: Austin House - Greenville, SC

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DavidC

Article: Austin House - Greenville, SC

Post by DavidC »

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Wonderful little house, owned by a member of the Bristol family, of Bristol-Myers Squibb.

pmahoney

EXTERIOR VIEW

Post by pmahoney »

The exterior shown in the article does not appear to be the house

SDR

Post by SDR »

Good catch. There appears to be brick in the photo shown; here's a photo showing the desert masonry found at Broad Margin:

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/ ... 543929001/

Here's another bit of evidence:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnmcnicholas/3227097945

The comments reveal that there's a Wright look-alike in the neighborhood ?

S

jay

Post by jay »

SDR, the house in your second link, labeled "Not FLLW's Broad Margin", is across the street from Broad Margin. Driving past it, it didn't seem like an apprentice house, but more of a mid-century type with Wright "stylings".

One interesting aspect of Broad Margin is that it sits just two miles north of downtown Greenville. You could ride your bike right into the center of town very easily. So it's a "neighborhood Usonian". And Greenville has a great little downtown, too. They did a wonderful public works project in early 2000's, building a huge suspended pedestrian bridge over a waterfall that cuts right through the city.

SDR

Post by SDR »

I found a picture of the bridge online. Pretty impressive !

Does anyone know how Broad Margin was named ?

S

Tom

Post by Tom »

Jay might be understating the achievement of downtown Greenville.
It's amazing how it was turned around.
Lot's of night life, packed restaurants, people on the streets.
Realy good overall urban design going on there.
May have something to do with the BMW manufacturing plant locating nearby.

dkottum

Post by dkottum »

From the original link in this thread:

Broad Margin is the name given to the property by Wright. The term comes from Thoreau’s Walden in which he states, “I love a broad margin to my life.�

Did Frank Lloyd Wright admire the writings of Thoreau, especially in Walden where Henry comes across as the most extreme of minimalists?

Rood

Post by Rood »

dkottum wrote:From the original link in this thread:

Broad Margin is the name given to the property by Wright. The term comes from Thoreau’s Walden in which he states, “I love a broad margin to my life.�

Did Frank Lloyd Wright admire the writings of Thoreau, especially in Walden where Henry comes across as the most extreme of minimalists?
Mr. Wright was a great admirer of Thoreau ...

In one Sunday morning talk, Mr. Wright mentioned Thoreau's comment from "Economy" ... "About shelter ...", the third paragraph of which reads, in part:
" ... I used to see a large box by the railroad, six feet long by three wide, in which the laborers locked up their tools at night, and it suggested to me that every man who was hard pushed might get such a one for a dollar, and, having bored a few auger holes in it, to admit the air at least, get into it when it rained and at night, and hook down the lid, and so have freedom in his love, and in his soul be free."

SDR

Post by SDR »

". . . and so have freedom in his love . . ." A trysting place, in other words ? And why not . . .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_David_Thoreau

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

"I love a broad margin in my life."
I am not certain what that means, but it could be construed as a contradiction of his overall philosophy. As his friend, James Russell Lowell, once said of Thoreau: "He is fine with roughing it, as long as he knows he has a dry box of lucifers [matches] in his pocket."

SDR

Post by SDR »

The phrase sounds like an appeal along the lines of "give me some room !"---a buffer zone around oneself or one's habitat ?

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Is that 3'x6' box with holes, a lid and a hook part of the Broad Margin? A casket retreat against rain and darkness?

I read Thoreau decades ago, and was less impressed than the hippie lot, who seemed to get it all wrong. Lowell got it right. Thoreau was more a prototype for the modern suburbanite than a "back to nature" type, as he portrayed himself to be.

juankbedoya

Post by juankbedoya »

does somebody have the plans of this beautiful house..?

juankbedoya

Post by juankbedoya »

SDR wrote:The phrase sounds like an appeal along the lines of "give me some room !"---a buffer zone around oneself or one's habitat ?

S
Do you have the plans of this house..? it's also in my list of hidden gems