ebay: FLW drawings and blueprints

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.

SDR

Post by SDR »

A Christie "Standard Detail" sheet for a shop structure reveals some specifics of the Usonian kit of parts c. 1940 (?): dimensions and names of parts
of the board-and-sunk-batten wall system and other trim, and a section through the foot of the wall.

This last is curious, and not a version of the condition that I've seen before. A question arises: is the weight of the wall (and thus of the roof) carried
down to the "2" Toncan metal strip" wedged between the edge of the slab and the rowlock course that surrounds the slab ? The two moldings keyed
into the bottom of the first course of boards could not support that weight without rotating outward, out of place---it seems to me. What is the point of
the void, called out at 1/4" in height ?

Another unusual detail is found in the soffit panels of the eaves. I guess they are board and sunk batten as well . . .

Loch Crane's name appears below the title of the sheet; did he make this drawing ? Crane is mentioned in the seller's text as part of the provenance.

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Is this for sale? I actually met Loch Crane, in San Diego.I believe he worked on this project. Did he actually draw this? or is his name on the drawing because he own it?

SDR

Post by SDR »

It wouldn't have been signed by Crane when completed; I can't see Wright or anyone else writing his name there, in ink---so I have to assume that Crane or someone else did it later.

Buy it---it would be great to have it "in the family." I would guess that it's never been published, and while it's not signed by Wright (the price would be much higher if it were) it appears to be a genuine blackline repro with original color added.

I'd love to know what the two small notes to the wall section, far right of the sheet, say !

Incidentally, the main and secondary title lettering is so regular that one suspects that it was made with a Leroy or similar lettering device. One sees this very occasionally on Taliesin sheets, I believe . . .

S