Alofsin's "Wright and New York"

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Mark Hertzberg

Alofsin's "Wright and New York"

Post by Mark Hertzberg »

I am only 100 pages into it, but I highly recommend Anthony Alofsin's "Wright and New York." I did not realize how much time Wright spent in exile from Taliesin in the City. I knew about the proposed apartments for St. Mark's in the Bouerie which were eventually realized as Price Tower (note that Bruce Brooks Pfeiffer explained to me, though, that the SC Johnson Research Tower was Wright's only realized tap root tower...Price is tied into the foundation of the adjoining office building) but I knew nothing about the proposed mega-church for Guthrie, which sure looks like Beth Sholom 30 years earlier! Each Wright book I read adds to the foundation started with previous readings.
Mark Hertzberg

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

In a way, the Cathedral for a Million People is similar to the Mile High Illinois Skyscraper: It would have required obliterating a huge section of Manhattan to accommodate all those people and their means of transportation, just as the Illinois would have decimated the Chicago Loop.

Mark Hertzberg

Post by Mark Hertzberg »

Yes, indeed!
Mark Hertzberg

Tom

Re: Alofsin's "Wright and New York"

Post by Tom »

Don't know how to post a link to a Podcast, but:
Yale University Press Podcast has an interview with Alofsin about this book: episode # 76.
It's a free download and very interesting.
Mark Hertzberg sums it up succinctly and Alofsin's interview on this podcast fills it out even more.
Evidently from the 20's to the 30's Wright spent a lot of time In NYC.
Alofsin's thesis is that this was a pvotal and crucial time in Wright's life.
He did a LOT of research for this book and sounds like he exegetes the Autobiography thoroughly.
Also it sounds like brings that historic era to life.
I would recommend the interview.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

(scroll down ~ 1/2 way for podcast)

Wright and New York

David

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks for that. To finally hear Alofsin is to know him a lot better---and his latest book promises to be an interesting read.

When a scholar professes to wish to turn a tranche of accepted academic wisdom "on its head," he or she had better be prepared for some pushback, if not disdain or worse. Anthony Alofsin has raised eyebrows, including mine---but I expect him will win out in the end . . .

S