Tiger by the tail

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Roderick Grant

Tiger by the tail

Post by Roderick Grant »

As you all know, Los Angeles is on fire again. This time the fire to watch is along Tigertail Road, which is upwind and spitting distance from Skyewiay Road and the Sturges House. Winds up to 80 mph are predicted for tomorrow, so unless they can get things under control today, it could be disaster.

John

LA fire

Post by John »

I'm now concerned about ALL of Wright's structures in CA.
I understand that even the Getty Museum is in danger.
The Eames house has also been evacuated.
Do we yet know the new owner of the Sturges house?
Is there any fire protection available for these places?
Wish we had been able to visit the Sturges house during our recent Conference in LA.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Thanks for the post RG.
Plagued By Fire

Tom

Post by Tom »

So Sturges is in mandatory evacuation area from maps I’ve seen.
Sunset Blvd. part of southern boundary of evac arae

Tom

Post by Tom »

Hard to tell from papers, but is the Getty Fire still growing?

SDR

Post by SDR »

Here are some supposedly real-time mapping sources. In the first case, I can't see the whole map; maybe you can.

In the second example, I can't zoom away (out); maybe you can.

https://ucanr.edu/sites/fire/Wildfire_H ... y/Current/

https://vcoes.maps.arcgis.com/apps/View ... 79,34.3404

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

When the winds blow, planters with large bushes in them in our courtyard blow over, even when the winds are below 30 MPH. No blow-overs yet. The winds are expected to pick up tonight, but now, at 10 AM, there is no sign of wind at all. If that remains the case until the end of the day, Tigertail might be contained. They have established a perimeter that looks to be considerably north of Sturges, closer to Crestwood Hills. The winds, if they come, will be headed straight west, toward heavily developed neighborhoods.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Has Crestwood Hills burned---since, say, WWII ?

oops; there's this: http://wrightchat.savewright.org/viewtopic.php?t=12559

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The Craig house is quite a distance north of Sturges, and I think the area to the south is not in much danger. The Tigertail fire does not cover much territory, and any wind that fuels it will send it westward, into Crestwood Hills Park.