What is the current status of Honduras Mahogany?

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
mike

What is the current status of Honduras Mahogany?

Post by mike »

What is the current status of Honduras Mahogany? Some internet suppliers still can get it while others say they can't get any.

Is it leagal to harvest? It comes from others countries near Honduras as well.

I am aware of the substitutes Liptus and Meranti. I have a customer that is demanding H-Mahogany but distributors in the midwest can't or won't get it.

Mike S.
St Louis

Richard

Post by Richard »

Four months ago I bought several hundred board feet of mahogany from Owl Hardwood lumber in Des Plaines, Il. They now call it "Genuine" mahogany. I believe it is Honduran as it looks very similar if not identical. The salespeople refered to it as Honduran as well. I was also told that supplies are dwindling and it wouldn't be long before the supply dries up. There is still a bit of Philippine around but in small board widths. The Honduran which I have seen was not a bad match for the Philippine but none was quartersawn and did not have the ribbon quality. My house has Philippine ribbon boards up to 12 inches wide and I have only been able to get Honduran in that size in the past. Lately, the widest Genuine boards have been up to 10 inches wide, of limited supply and very expensive. Seven years ago they were $6.85 a board foot now about $14.00. Wright's homes chewed up a bit of rainforest unfortunately.
Homeowner

chucklohre

Our carpenter couldn't get it so we went with Sapelli

Post by chucklohre »

I get so mixed up with the different names of mahogany. All the books say that the Boulter House is Philippine Mahagony but Honduran is what matched it. That was two years ago when we purchased some veneer and had it laid up ourselves. There is a lot of veneert out there. I guess it just depends how much uyou want to spend. Some say mahagony isn't even a tree. I guess you have to use the latin name which I don't know. Heck, the cabinet maker and the finisher you use is more important than the wood, maybe. Finally, a local large wood shop that does corporate board rooms went with Sapelli. Thank God because we got some good boards out of the batch for our south facing cabinet top which we wanted solid. Wish us luck. Our project should be done by Christmas, Valentine's Day, Spring, Easter......
Chuck Lohre
1 Rawson Woods Circle
Cincinnati, OH 45220
c 513-260-9025
chuck@lohre.com

Richard

Post by Richard »

Mahogany: A hard, red or yellow-brown wood which takes a high polish and is extensively used for furniture and cabinetwork. The West Indies mahogany tree (Swietenia mahagoni), a native of tropical regions in North and South America, is a large evergreen tree with smooth pinnate leaves. Together with other species it yields the world's most valuable cabinet wood. In the United States it occurs naturally only in the extreme southern tip of Florida, but it is planted elsewhere in the state as an ornamental and shade tree.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeowner

mike

thanks for the info

Post by mike »

Thanks for the info!!!

Some of the cabinet companies (most in Lancaster County Pa.) I work with won't even try to get hon-mahogany anymore.

If you need any for future repairs etc. you'd better stock up!!

I worked for a high end millwork company in the late 80's and I would say that 60 percent of the work was honduras mahogany. We would order two semi trailers at a time. It was rough sawn from the mill and we would plain it etc. Some of the planks were 3" thick 12" wide and 14-16 foot long. Every architect during that time was spec-ing Mahogany on high end executive areas, desks & paneling etc.
St Louis