Zillow: Fay Jones house - Fayetteville, AR

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks. Did Jones have other lieutenants during the period when these brick houses were make ? I guess that's not really the issue, is it . . .

S

DRN

Post by DRN »

Another couple of factoids about the Sequoia Project house... it was designed and built on spec, and it is across the street from Jones’ house for Misses Goetsch and Winckler constricted about 10 years later.

The Sequoia is a gem of a house that was graciously opened by its owners for a FLWBC tour in 2016.

SDR

Post by SDR »

In keeping with a minor theme, that of vertical accents found inside and out, these houses exhibit a detail that Jones probably "owns": the vertical molding that functions as a door pull at kitchen and other casework.

I'll have to look closer to see what he does with drawer fronts; pulls at each edge of the drawer bank ?

S

Wrighter

Post by Wrighter »

Regarding the drawers:
At our house, for the drawers with flush fronts and no hardware, a groove is carved out on the bottom of the drawer, on the back side of the drawer front (and thus unseen). You grip the drawer there and pull open. Not sure if he keeps this approach with later homes; ours is pretty early (1962ish).

Wooden pulls are installed in some of the drawers in the bedrooms--those where the drawers stack on top of each other, like in a desk. I'm not sure if these pulls are a latter addition, but from their looks, I suspect maybe.

SDR

Post by SDR »

So, in your first case, the drawer fronts must be spaced apart from each other ?

I haven't looked at Jones kitchens so far; I'll have to do so. Thanks for your input !

S

Wrighter

Post by Wrighter »

Yes, the drawer fronts are spaced out with fixed panels between them.

The fixed panels line up vertically with the fixed panels that separate the sets of doors for the cabinets below, when there are cabinets below the drawers.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

SDR wrote:Who did I miss, of the first order, or not ? S
Don't forget Alden Dow. His early homes seem to be an inspiration for Wright's Usonian homes.
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

There is also, obviously, Alfred Browning Parker.