Wright Model Making?

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Matt2

Wright Model Making?

Post by Matt2 »

I'm thinking of turning my model-making hobby into a side business. Does this board think there is a market for custom bass wood architectural models of Wright designs? What do you think would be a fair price? The ballpark is easily hundreds and possibly thousands depending on the complexity of the design.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Certainly. Would you do monochromatic basswood, or fully colored and textured surfaces ? Glazing ? Scale ? With or without surrounding topography ?

These are all the questions I've asked myself, when contemplating the subject.

I'd be satisfied, ultimately, with a 1:4 or 1:6 model of Fallingwater including 50 yd radius site condition. Some living bonsai landscaping, certainly---perhaps radio or
robotic vehicles. Indoor and outdoor lighting, of course, the model housed in a room where various daylighting and night-time environments could be reproduced.

S

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

I'm thinking that the scale/level of detail would be worked out for each customer based on their preferences and budget. The models should be on a MDF base with layers of cork to represent the topography, possibly a plexiglass box cover. My personal tastes are for more minimalist style of model as opposed to OCD diorama style. The basswood works well for wood Usonian houses, but less well for masonry like Fallingwater.

SDR

Post by SDR »

I like that choice. But, for the building itself, I'd be happier if wood was used as wood, with other materials---machined or CNCd MDF ? Cement or ceramic ?---for brick, block or stone, for instance.

But there are almost as many ways to use the materials as there are kinds of buildings, I guess. As Schindler said, "...glass, putty, or hot air ..."

It's the poetic materiality of work like Wright's that seems (to me) to call for attention to the contrasts between the substances being rendered, on the part of the modelmaker.

S

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

Representing the differences is important. I've used foam core to represent stucco or concrete surface and at certain scales the grain of wood can convey the roughness of masonry. I think the reason Fallingwater is such a hard design to model is the importance of distinguishing the interplay of masonry, cement, and glass. But there are so many wood Usonians that would be great in basswood.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Yup. A Fallingwater model would be wrong in wood---echoing again the reality. Not that I haven't imagined a poor man's FW, built of stone and wood, partially grilled or grated, open or seeming so to the weather, the woods, the stream ...

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Perhaps either unbuilt projects of interest or correcting built buildings so wrong it hurts would be interesting. Watkins or Morris #2 would be interesting unrealized projects, and a corrected Ennis would be worthwhile as well.

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

Most of my model making has been of unbuilt projects like the original Booth House. It's the best way to understand the design. Of course, many today would just create a CAD model, but there may be an audience for physical models.

DRN

Post by DRN »

The pre-addition original Sondern house would model well in bass wood...there are full construction documents and photos of the built condition in existence to inform the effort.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Perhaps it's not too soon to consider modeling the Oboler compound, in all its unbuilt or ruined glory ? Somewhere, someone must have found a way to make a convincing desert masonry surface ...

S

Randolph C. Henning

Post by Randolph C. Henning »

If you are serious regarding selling models of Frank Lloyd Wright designs for profit, before you go too far, you might want to check with Sean Malone, president and CEO of the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation, to be sure you don't overstep copyright or trademark boundaries. I'm just sayin . . .

SDR

Post by SDR »

The architect's name is copyrighted (and, presumably, trademarked), at the very least. One imagines that it would be odd, but not impossible, to market models of his work without using his name. The interesting question would be whether the buildings themselves are protected by copyright. By all means, check it out thoroughly.

As an example, there are multiple models of Fallingwater visible online. Are any of those offered for sale ? If so, what have the makers done to satisfy the law ? Their example(s) could be useful.

S

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Randolph C. Henning wrote: you might want to check with Sean Malone, president and CEO of the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation.
STUART GRAFF is the President & CEO of the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation and has been since January of 2016.
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

I'm pretty sure only the drawings are protected by copyright law. But I'll be sure to check all of that out.

SDR

Post by SDR »

That sounds right. The use of Wright's name might be the sticking point.

S