Mark Mills Papers

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Post by SDR »

Mills is interviewed in Carmel at age 80+ by P Serraino for his 2006 "NorCalMod," pp 130-39. After the Walker house, he built the three houses on land she owned; he was about 32 years old.

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

Here are Dan's photos:

Image . . . Image

SDR

Post by SDR »

SDR

Post by SDR »

Is this the house you visited, Dan ?

https://i2.wp.com/www.thomashenthorne.c ... 1030&ssl=1

DRN

Post by DRN »

That's it!
Thanks for the plan!
There is a relatively recent addition just beyond the carport, the roof of which is just visible in the gable-end window in my photo.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Let's say north is at the bottom of the plan; which direction is your camera facing, in the second photo ? Is the pier in the middle of the room related in any way the one at the corner of the carport ?

S

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

I wonder how many shins have been bruised in collisions with that cantilevered planter. Sort of taking inspiration from the Huntington Hartford project.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Its great to see inside!
thaks DRN, thanks SDR
I love the bent steel candle holder.

SDR

Post by SDR »

The interesting thing about the plan is that it is in no way (that I can see) married to the A-frame "overhead." It would make a perfectly dandy flat-roofed or shed-roofed house too---wouldn't it ?

Granted, the two solid volumes are ideally placed as foils to a dramatic roof ...!

S

Tom

Post by Tom »

Exactly right - good observation
Not sure but I think Mills mounts the A-Frame on a low peripheral
wall, giving him a little height before the Frames angle inward.
(Not in the case of WildBird however.)

SDR

Post by SDR »

A section drawing is absolutely necessary in order to understand a structure like an A-frame; there's no indication at all on the plan to determine where and how high the walls are.

However, one can see that partitions do not go to the ceiling; the plan and section of the hexagonal house present a similar example, and the interior photos verify the condition.

So, I guess this "speck" (spec ?) house is the very one we're talking about ?

SDR

Post by SDR »

Don't know what this is---but the photos of concrete, lumber, glass and landscape are a treat. And this is my idea of a driveway:

https://ssl.cdn-redfin.com/photo/8/bigp ... 7_38_5.jpg

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Big-Sur/55471 ... e=myredfin

S

DRN

Post by DRN »

If North is at the bottom of the plan and the ridge line runs east/west, my 2nd photo was looking SE at the little double dish planter engaged with the pier to the west of the dining table in the floor plan. Apparently the first owner had Mills expand the living/dining area to floor plan-south such that the windows and French doors fill out the roof overhang shown on plan, thus creating a more defined dining area.
The pier is analogous to the carport pier but for the planters.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks---I see it now.

One hopes this won't be the last Mills monograph ...

https://issuu.com/billsosin/docs/fs_booklet.07.14.2018

The fact that Mills was a hands-on architect/builder accounts for the high quality of execution, I imagine. One is reminded of the finesse found in Jack Hillmer.
The wood here seems unfinished, and with a uniform patina of age, again as in Hillmer ?

jay

Post by jay »

SDR� I just sent you an email with a couple jpgs I had of this house. One is the floor plan with the orientation labeled. North is actually to the left of the plan, where the carport is... And the other is an old shot of the dining nook, before they bumped it out as Dan tells us.