Mark Mills Papers

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Post by SDR »

The drawings are sweet; I really like his line. I copied the ones of the Lot 6 house (the hexagon---neat plan) and the Sea Crag house
(just plan and elevation, in color), as well as three other houses and a chapel.

The Shell House ceilings (underside of conical vaults) are embedded with parallel strips of wood. If I haven't said it before (or not
about Mills, anyway), he's another to take a path similar to that of John Lautner: trying out one new tectonic after another.

S
Last edited by SDR on Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom

Post by Tom »

I saw that color interior shot of the Shell House. Pretty cool.
I like the Farrah house too but have not seen an interior shot that makes it understandable.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The house Mills designed for himself is featured on the cover of HB, June 1964, a wonderful small house. 24' of a wall in the living room was constructed of recycled 18"x6" redwood beams separated by two 6-3/4" widths of fixed glass.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Yeah, I love that detail.
It shows up in one of the elevation drawings linked here

Tom

Post by Tom »

The Mills house with the wall of huge horizontal redwood timber separated by glass is the "Lot 5" house in this archive.
They show up in the plan and are labeled "bridge timbers & glass"
They are eight modules long.
If RG is correct about the 24ft length then the house is built on a 3ft module.

So, of all the house designs Mills did for himself, this was the one they built -relying on RG's recall of the HB cover.

I've seen picture of the wall but never knew it was Mills own house.
Anyone ever been there?

SDR

Post by SDR »

Near the bottom of page 4 is a plan and two sections of the living-room seats at Wright's Walker house.

I did see a drawing with elements labeled "bridge beams"---darned if I can find it now.

Here are several of the projects we've discussed:

Mills Lot 6 Residence
ImageImage

House for Miss Mai Simpson, Partington Ridge
ImageImage

ImageImage

"Copper Spine" (Farrar)
ImageImage

Chapel for Big Sur
ImageImage

ImageImage

© California Polytechnic State University
Last edited by SDR on Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tom

Post by Tom »

These are great to have all together like this.

The Mills "Lot 5" house is on the 2nd page 8th shot down
and on the 3rd page 12th shot down.
plan and elevations.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Mills Lot 5 Residence

Image . . . Image

Image . . . Image

Image . . . Image

Image . . . Image

© California Polytechnic State University

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The Lot 6 House was another featured in HB. For a single person, it is about as perfect as the Lyman House or that tiny hex by Lautner.

SDR, there were some others associated with FLW, one way or another, who went A-frame:
Schindler's Bennati Cabin in Arrowhead (1934-7); Alden Dow's Ashmun House (1951); and Alfred Browning Parker's off-kilter Mass House (1954).
I don't know the status of Bennati; Ashmun is extant; Mass has been demolished.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Another unusual feature seen in more than one Mills design: an exterior ramp.

So, if he didn't build either of these houses (Lots 5 or 6) for himself, where did Mills live ?

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

House 6 was his house.

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

I've never heard of this guy before. Wonderful drawings. You're referring to "lots" is this from an auction or just the archive the OP noted?

SDR

Post by SDR »

Building lots, in Carmel, CA.

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

It seems that both the Lot 5 and Lot 6 houses were built.

https://www.kcet.org/shows/artbound/coa ... mark-mills

I don't see photos of Lot 6, the hexagonal house.

Mills was at Taliesin 1944-48, in San Francisco from '51. At Anshen & Allen briefly, working on Eichler houses. While there he made the connection to Mrs Walker.

S

DRN

Post by DRN »

On the rendering in SDR's 2nd post of this thread is a fragment of the title which notes "Carmel Calif. Lot 17 Walker Tract".
From the 2016 FLWBC Conference tour, I learned that the noted tract in Carmel was owned by Wright client Della Walker who commissioned Mills to design two houses on adjacent lots on spec...this was one of those houses. Walker met Mills through the construction of her house...the GC brought Mills on to work on the carpentry.

The dense landscaping made photography almost impossible, but I did manage two interior detail pics and a photo of a period photo of the house. I'll send them to SDR for posting...a compact and very daylit house that was clearly a master work of shelter without confining enclosure.