Article: 'The secret curse of owning a FLW house'

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
jay

Post by jay »

What?? Sounds a bit millennial. Not so long ago, in order to qualify as a voice to be taken seriously, one needed to have and be accountable for her qualifications, that is, bona fides. In today's Internet mess, anyone can worm her way into a digital periodical and hold forth ... it would seem. I believe it is perfectly reasonable to critique a writer by her past efforts.
Mr. Grant,

I am indeed a millennial. Are you making a judgment about my age?

I won't deny that my generation generally feels that older white men have a serious complex concerning their own superiority over others they deem less important. My generation, it's true, feels that everyone's "voice" should be taken seriously, simply because that's a decent thing to do. If someone says something stupid, or inaccurate, or misguided, than those assertions can be challenged on their own merits or lack thereof. But yes, we believe a person does not need "qualifications" to be taken seriously... Because a woman contributed to CafeMom.com doesn't mean her opinion on architecture should be discarded based on her "bona fides" that you judge to be of lesser importance.

Cheers!
-J

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I am making a judgment about your generation, even as it fades into the next, who are biting at your heels. Every generation - depression era, war babies, boomers, gen-x - as they go through their 20s, are contemptuous of "older white men," until they themselves become the objects of their scorn. The hippies of my 20s (of whom I absolutely was not one!) are like today's millennials in many ways, other than sartorially. "Don't trust anyone over the age of 30!" was the catchphrase of the era. But don't worry, the faux certainty fades away with age.

jay

Post by jay »

"To me, young has no meaning. It's something you can do nothing about, nothing at all. But youth is a quality. And if you have it, you never lose it."
-Frank Lloyd Wright

And there is a difference of being contemptuous and recognizing other's contempt. I have explicitly focused on the latter.

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

We should all be so lucky to live in a Wright house long enough to discern it's faults. Of the many I've been in, my chief complaint would be narrow stairs and corridors, but better to scrimp on pass through spaces than on the spaces you sit and spend time in.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Matt, those stairs that follow the hex grid are a bit noisome, too, such as those in the Kalita Humphreys Theatre. I can imagine theatergoers stumbling on them.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I have never bought that quote of FLW's. "Young" is indeed is something one can do nothing about, but "youth" as a quality? Hanging onto youth generally means aping the behavior and look of the young. It is more often pathetic than anything one might brag about.

I recall the last time Elizabeth Taylor made a public appearance. She barely resembled her beautiful, youthful self. She was pulled, stretched and girdled on the outside, and sick to the bone on the inside. Died shortly thereafter. Old age is something one can do nothing about. You can be old and healthy, or old and sick, but still old. And that is something no one knows for sure until they are old.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Without for a moment discounting your particular experience---nor anyone else's, for good measure---I beg to differ. We've all known people (of any age) who,
despite no real challenges, simply aren't pleased with life---while others retain an energetic yen, an appetite for what life has to offer, until the day they drop.

I hate those people ... :lol:

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

SDR, I don't disagree with that at all, but I don't connect that attitude to youthfulness. One can be as full of life as anyone without the need to consider being youthful, a term without any sound definition. Energetic yen or displeased with life has nothing explicitly to do with age. There are young people who are depressed, you know.

My particular experience is old with extraordinary health. At 72, my doctor said I had the constitution of a 20-year-old. Considering family history, I figured I could make it to 85, so I did the math, and concluded that I should live until I am 306 ... give or take a week. I have 230 years to go!