New photos

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Mark Hertzberg

New photos

Post by Mark Hertzberg »

I have just put two new posts on www.wrightinracine.com

a) New photos from familiar places

b) Four photos from two sites I did not identify, hoping people will have fun guessing where I shot them.

Mark Hertzberg
Mark Hertzberg

SDR

Post by SDR »

Cool new photos. For the unidentified ones, the first image must be of the acrylic-covered Japanese screen on the south wall of the Blue Loggia; the
decorated object at bottom center could be a very distorted view of one of the tall plant stands in that space---but I can't identify the rose-colored horizontal
frame beyond, seen (reflected) at the right, where the bird-walk should be ?

The way-out-of-focus light sources in the remaining images could be identified by their numbers and colors; they don't have to be electric lights but could
instead be spots of daylight---I suppose.

The other photos are just a delight. Wright's materials and colors, revealed in the light, never fail to inspire...

S

Mark Hertzberg

Post by Mark Hertzberg »

Image one...you are correct. It is a Chinese screen, though. The others are the lights on the poles in the Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church, purposely shot out of focus.
Mark Hertzberg

SDR

Post by SDR »

Aha. I was looking at the church recently, in photos. I wonder why a few lamps are darker in color...almost purple, or blue ?

S

Mark Hertzberg

Post by Mark Hertzberg »

I underexposed a bit so the lights would not wash out.
Mark Hertzberg

SDR

Post by SDR »

Now I remember the thing that caught my attention in whatever photo(s) I was looking at: some of lamps on the poles were blue.

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/PPKAXY/interi ... PPKAXY.jpg

That would perhaps explain the purply-looking ones in your photos...

S

SpringGreen

Greek Orthodox

Post by SpringGreen »

Mark,
I think Monona Terrace was what I associated those lights with, but I figured that you might feel they weren't *really* Wright (depending on how long someone wants to get into *that* conversation, which I don't feel like doing).
"The building as architecture is born out of the heart of man, permanent consort to the ground, comrade to the trees, true reflection of man in the realm of his own spirit." FLLW, "Two Lectures in Architecture: in the Realm of Ideas".

Mark Hertzberg

Post by Mark Hertzberg »

There are similar lights on the top level of Monona Terrace.
Mark Hertzberg

SDR

Post by SDR »

There's a string of lamp-studded poles, going back at least to Midway Gardens:

http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory. ... k/3563.jpg

and atop the Price Tower and at the entrance drive to the Price Grandma House.

Those are all exterior examples; how many other interior installations are there ?

S

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

SDR there is also an exterior pole light at Westhope, Fir Tree, and SAMARA.

Interior pole lights would be made of wood like we see at Offelt (?) and Hillside theater, among many others.
JAT
Jeff T

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Westhope? Original?

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

Yes it is original.
I took these pics back on April 20, 2016
Last edited by Jeff Myers on Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JAT
Jeff T

SDR

Post by SDR »

There are three or four vertical sticks visible in this early aerial view.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

When Westhope was built, it was in a semi-rural area. Two of the 4 'sticks' could be poles for power lines. The one on the steps up to the roof over the servant's quarters seems to have a rectangular contrivance atop. The light pole would be the one on the stairs up to the rooftop terrace over the bedroom wing, right, Jeff?

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

JAT
Jeff T