"Plagued by Fire" review

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
m.perrino

Post by m.perrino »

Just finished. What a fantastic telling. Liked the tone and presentation. Well researched and documented. Learned a lot. Might incorporate some into my tours @ T-W. Other comments: Ida Heller, Beulah Boynton, speculation but quite interesting. Miriam Noel, more than I knew and still I just struggle to make sense of that relationship ( maybe desperate men do desperate things). The Imperial commission, $250K = $3.7 million in 2019 - where did ALL THAT MONEY GO? Wm. Carey a sad story, now more sad due to Anna's mental issues. Mamah - a recounting more horrible than I ever imagined. Olga - a quick review, but someday more to come. I have my own theory. Svetlana, never knew the background on the tragic accident. And the fires, forgot about Iovana's wedding and some of the others unknown. Learned a new word: synecdoche. PLUS, anyone who quotes James Agee or Walker Evans is ok, by me. After 47 years of my own personal FLW mania - the last sentence is the most powerful : "You can never get to the end of the knowing". Outstanding Work.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

m. perrino, I believe it was in An Autobiography that FLW said there were "trainloads" (perhaps an exaggeration) of art that he bought in Japan sent to Taliesin. You know what a spendthrift he was.

m.perrino

Post by m.perrino »

Apologies to all for the triple post. Having connectivity 'issues'. It's always something and yes, no doubt that 'spendthrift' went throught it fast. HA HA, loved it.

Rood

Post by Rood »

SDR

Post by SDR »

Another online site which neglects to identify itself geographically. From what city does KJZZ broadcast ?

S

DRN

Post by DRN »

KJZZ radio: Phoenix AZ
KJZZ TV: Salt Lake City UT

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks. Interesting split; coincidence, I suppose . . .

Anybody hear the interview ?

S

Rood

Post by Rood »

SDR wrote:Another online site which neglects to identify itself geographically. From what city does KJZZ broadcast ? S
KJZZ is an award-winning, listener-supported public radio station broadcasting to the Phoenix, Arizona, metropolitan area. As the NPR member station for the region, KJZZ features a mix of local, national, and world news, including BBC, American Public Media and Public Radio International. The station airs classic jazz and blues nightly and entertaining weekend programs.

Volunteers support our work; more information here. Learn more about becoming a listener supporter here.

Listen to KJZZ in the Phoenix area at 91.5 FM and HD, on our mobile app or stream it at kjzz.org.

KJZZ also broadcasts on:

98.9 FM - Tucson, AZ
91.7 FM - Fountain Hills, AZ
92.1 FM - Glenwood/Silver City, NM
106.9 FM - Little Acres/Globe, AZ
KJZZ is a public service of Rio Salado College and is licensed to the Maricopa County Community College District and broadcasts from the campus of Rio Salado College, in Tempe, Arizona.

History of KJZZ 91.5 FM
1951 – KFCA begins airing at 88.1 FM at 10 watts from Phoenix College
1966 – KFCA switches frequency to 91.5 FM and broadcasts at 100,000 watts from South Mountain
1968 – Corporation for Public Broadcasting founded by Congress
1971 – KFCA becomes an NPR-member station
1972 – KFCA changes call letters to KMCR for “Maricopa County Radio�
1980 – KMCR moves to Mesa Community College
1985 – KMCR changes call letters to KJZZ for “jazz�
2002 – KJZZ moves to its current studios at Rio Salado College in Tempe
2012 – SPOT 127, KJZZ’s Youth Media Center, opens
2014 – Major renovation of the Deeann Griebel Newsroom is completed
2016 – KJZZ opens the Mexico City Bureau, the first international news bureau operated by a local public radio station
2017 – Full-time production of The Show begins
2017 – KJZZ finishes construction of a new broadcast antenna on South Mountain

Rood

Post by Rood »

SDR wrote:Thanks. Interesting split; coincidence, I suppose . . .Anybody hear the interview ? S
No connection between the two. Anyone can hear the interview by simply clicking on "Listen Now"

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks, all.

I guess I meant, "did anyone listen to the interview . . .?"

S

Tim

Post by Tim »

Tried. Tried. Tried.

I just couldn't make it through the book.

I wanted to.

Still not sure ... why the friction.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Don't beat yourself up; try getting through the Autobiography first . . .!

S

Tim

Post by Tim »

The writer of this post appreciated the storytelling aspect of the author in the autobiography.

The writer of this post was a young man when he read the autobiography and was taken in by it. Very romantic...

That was my impersonation of the autobiography. Or should I say, that was the writer of this post's ... shall we say the author of this post's ... best impression.
Last edited by Tim on Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

If you can get past all the fantasy, truth-stretching and outright lies of "An Autobiography," there is more about FLW's approach to design therein than in any other book he wrote. It is elements like the "stormy night!" that are distractions. The book contains within it the best text on FLW ever written.

Tim

Post by Tim »

Roderick Grant wrote:If you can get past all the fantasy, truth-stretching and outright lies of "An Autobiography," there is more about FLW's approach to design therein than in any other book he wrote. It is elements like the "stormy night!" that are distractions. The book contains within it the best text on FLW ever written.
I would agree.