Carlton D. Wall House (SNOWFLAKE) - Plymouth, Michigan

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

The overhead photo shows that the original roofs with the horizontal wood battens have been replaced with a typical standing seam steel roof.

The original was better.
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

SDR

Post by SDR »

Indeed.

The house (?) to the east seems to have been oriented in coordination with the original construction; the other additions to the south have not. One would like to see the entire assemblage from the ground, inside and out . . .

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Rood, there is no additional construction on the west side of the original house; the attached addition is south of the house, while the detached (guest?) house is east. Google fake trees hide exactly what is at the south end of the path, but it appears to be a hex-shaped terrace.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Right -- on the Google view north is at top; on the plot plan it is at right.

HOJO points to an interesting anomaly; in the photo with Mr Wall the translucent panel has been removed from the bottom of the skylight, revealing what appear to be lighted fluorescent fixtures . . .

S

Rood

Post by Rood »

SDR wrote: Stafford Norris kindly forwarded eight new photos for our delectation. I begin with images of the relief beneath a skylight. The relief is carved wood, surely ?
Cherrywood bas relief, carved in situ, Wall Residence, Plymouth, Michigan, Frank Lloyd Wright, architect, 1944 (from the Wikipedia Milton Horn entry)

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks, Rood. Now, it appears that HOJO's question about the bas relief and the skylight above it has not been properly addressed.

What to make of these three images ? The reflected ceiling plan, also found on the previous page, shows the skylight . . .

Image Yukio Futagawa, Monograph 6 (1986), p 296

Image image c/o Stafford Norris III

Image 1949, per Taschen II, p 464 (photographer unknown)

SDR

Post by SDR »

"House for Mr and Mrs Carleton David Wall": "Reflected ceiling plan and electrical diagram" FLLW 4114.11 -- Monograph 6, p 297:

HOJO

Post by HOJO »

Note: the Google maps picture of previous page shows the skylight.
(The actual Google maps looks a bit different)

So, it was initially build without the bas-relief, and soon after FLW advised by the installation of the bas-relief and designed the skylight for it? Is that the story?

SDR

Post by SDR »

I honestly don't know what to think. Did you notice that the bas-relief is missing in the 1949 photo ? And how could the skylight appear never to have been installed, in the Futagawa photo I believe could not date to earlier than 1959.

The drawing is presumably from the initial drawing set for the house . . .

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

I forgot to include the skylight details from the same sheet.

If anyone has a plausible explanation that would explain what we see in the photos, I would be most interested to hear it. There has to be one . . . of course . . .

All drawing images © the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation

SDR

Post by SDR »

And another thing: in the first two photos above -- that is, the most recent one and the undated one -- the two shelves to the left of the carving have ends which I judge to be c. 1 1/2" high by 6" wide,
while in the third photo, supposedly from 1949, those shelf ends, visible at the extreme left of the frame, appear to be both thinner and longer than that. Even accounting for photographic distortion, I
can't make them to be identical, or even close . . .

S

Tom

Post by Tom »

Coming late to this discussion.
Looks like the skylight was never built in the first place ...right?

SDR

Post by SDR »

I suppose so; Stafford just sent another batch of photos, including two in which the skylight is present -- but only the elongated portion, not the triangle next to it.

The problem with the obvious scenario, in which the skylight was drawn but not constructed immediately, is that what might be the most recent photo, published in 1986, is the one with no skylight . . .

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Both the photo of Carl looking pensive and the one with a philodendron (?) and the relief with the skylight show the framing woodwork and shelves in place. The laylight was to have a detail of slender wood strips across it, which apparently was not done. The triangular element at the end, near the center of the ceiling, at most connects above the ceiling to the skylight well; it doesn't show in the Google view.

The chronology is, I suspect: Skylight in place; Carl in deep thought with laylight removed, fluorescent fixtures exposed (or added?); image below Carl showing center of ceiling paneled, skylight obviously removed entirely, other than the exterior remnant which shows to this day on Google.

This suggests that the fixture was built according to plan, very likely leaked, was boarded over and lit, and finally removed entirely.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

SDR, the triangular tip of the skylight is there in the photo Stafford sent. It was designed as a separate element with a pronounced outline.