Falling Water landscape drawings

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Tom

Post by Tom »

What does Rudolph mean by the central bays being double the others?

SDR

Post by SDR »

I think he must be speaking of the living-room, framed by stone columns only at the edges of the double-wide space . . .

Oh, what the heck, let's give 'em the whole thing . . . My sincere apologies for the presentation. (I did this once before---if you can believe what you find on the Internet . . .)

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

© 1970 A.D.A EDITA Tokyo Co., Ltd. and Paul M Rudolph

Tom

Re: Falling Water landscape drawings

Post by Tom »

Last edited by Tom on Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:29 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Tom, none of the attachments are accessible.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Try again now,
I went back and pasted them from the original sites.
These are links that GDorn posted to the Wright and Exposed Structure thread.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Well - I emailed Avery and they sent me what they have on Fallingwater.
Here is their reply message to me:

"Dear Tom Patteson,

Thank you for your message and interest in our the Frank Lloud Wright Foundation Archives. I fully understand your interest in an improved access to those study images. Rest assured that I am sharing these concerns with my colleagues. As Public Services Archivist here at Avery Drawings & Archives, I am advocating for the needs of all our constituencies, from academic researchers, to museums curators, to professionals such as architects and engineers and all other FLW aficionados.

I will send you low res black and white study images of the drawings we hold for the Kaufmann house via WeTransfer. You should receive an email shortly with a downloadable link to the PDF. A list of drawings with their descriptions and reference numbers (e.g.5514.001)will also be sent to you. As you pointed out, these images can only be used for private study purposes.

Please do not hesitate to reach back out to us with any other questions you may have.

Best,"

...and they did indeed send me a file with 163 drawings.
Here are some interesting things to note from my first perusal:

-The files contain no fully coordinated set of drawings- it is a seemingly VERY random collection.
-There are very few structural drawings compared to what I was expecting.
-The structural drawing that appears in 'Master Builder/Merchant Prince is completely hand drawn
and by that I mean no straight edge was used - it's a free hand drawing!
-The steel mullions embedded in the living room parapet that support the deck terrace above
are welded rectangular frames 5'x9'.
-The thin concrete slab roof above the minor second floor terrace that you see upon approach
is heavily structured. I mean that thing has 14 , 6" deep pre-fabricated steel trusses inside. In addition
there are 5 steel bars encased in concrete and concealed in the stone wall that tie the tip of that cantilever down.
-Interior elevations are drawn at 1-1/2" scale.
-Many full size details of roof membrane termination details with technical notes by Wright
-Lots of large scale drawings of the casework.

SDR

Post by SDR »

5'x9' ?

5"x9" ? Or is 5 x 9 feet the dimension in elevation of a single structural frame ?

Which structural drawing in "Merchant Prince" ? Name the illustration number . . .

S

Tom

Post by Tom »

5ft X 9ft is the dimension in elevation of a single structural frame.
They consist of a 4"X4" structural "T" with the "flange cut down to 2-1/2"
They are mitered at the corners and "welded all around with a 'V' notch.
In addition, according to the drawings, they have 1-1/4" holes @ 2-1/2" O.C.
drilled into the top and bottom horizontal sections and the bottom 4ft of the
vertical sections. That's a lot of holes. Looks like their purpose is to better
integrate with the concrete.

I do not have a copy of Master Builder/Merchant Prince. I thought I remembered
SDR saying there is only one structural drawing in the book.
I thought that drawing was the structural plan of the main level.
It is that drawing that is done free hand.

I took another look at the structural drawing of the roof over the second level eastern terrace
... the one off of the guest bedroom. The drawing is dated 1954.
If this drawing was executed then it looks like in 1954 this portion of the roof was rebuilt.
One note on the drawing calls for the existing roof slab at the guest bedroom wall
to be completely cut - north to south. So the roof over the entire eastern terrace was possibly demolished and rebuilt.
... and I was wrong about the 14- 6" deep steel trusses embedded in the new roof. The number is 45!

I've tried to find a picture of these trusses. I cannot post the archive drawing.
They were a proprietary product called 'Jaltruss'
They were manufactured by Jones and Laughlin Steel Corporation - hence the J-A-L in 'Jaltruss'
This firm was one of the historic steel mills in Pittsburgh founded in 1852. They were famous for bridges.

Tom

Post by Tom »

BTW.
I can zoom in on all these Avery files.
So the structural drawing of the main level of FW in Master Bulder/Merchant Prince
is something I can actually read.
If there are any questions I'm happy to see if I can answer.

I hope Avery will give us access at some point.

SDR

Post by SDR »

I'll post that drawing here, as it has been published previously ("Merchant Prince and Master Builder," p 93) and was not supplied to me by the Avery. The drawing appears on the page at just over 5" by 7". My scan of the drawing measures 4427 x 3162 px; I'll post it here at 2500 pixels wide.

Perhaps someone could attempt to use this sheet to build a structurally-deficient copy of the house ? At 2500 px the numerals are largely indecipherable. The scan can be enlarged to 2500 px by opening it in a new tab.

Here's the text that accompanies this reproduction in the cited volume:

© 1999 Carnegie Museum of Art, Carnegie Institute
© The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation Archives (The Museum of Modern Art | Avery Architectural & Fine Arts Library, Columbia University, New York)

Tom

Post by Tom »

Yes - that's the drawing.
And I've been calling that the main level but that is wrong.
This is the second floor level.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Western parapet of second level major terrace:
the western parapet of the bedroom terrace off of Mrs Kauffmans room.

This drawing does answer some questions.
That parapet is indeed a major structural beam.
It is 35'-4" long extending from the face over the waterfall straight back into the tall masonry fireplace mass.
It extends and bears 1-ft into the fireplace masonry and stops.
Inside the bottom of that beam are 3- 1" dia. continuous steel reincorcing bars extending the entire length of the beam.
The section thru the beam changes one time. At the bootom the beam measures 9".
At the top where the parapet is curved that thickness is 7"
20" up from the bottom of the beam the section cuts back 2" making room for the flagstone floor.

The structure of the floor where it connects to that beam changes.
In other words the section thru the "floor plate" above the living room from the waterfall to the back of the house
is essentially two different structural systems: a concrete joist system and a continuous slab - tapered to be recessed over the core of the living room. The parapet beam supports them both.
Most of us know this already at some level, but when you see this structural section so specifically - Wright's "Wizardry" really seems to come thru.

Most of what I can read on the Avery drawing is legible on the drawing SDR posted above if enlarged. Also this drawing is not freehand. That idea is the result of the distortion of the Avery drawing. Despite that the Avery drawing is easier and more completey able to be read.

The opposite parapet beam on the eastern side of the second level terrace is trickier.
I don't understand that area yet.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Too bad the main-level west parapet cannot likewise act as a beam over its full depth, because it is interrupted by the terrace door.

S

Tom

Post by Tom »

Also, and to my surprise, there is a well developed version of the FW plan
that shows the dining room expanded large and behind the present North wall
blocking the road and terminating at the rock face behind the house.
It's about 24-ft wide and looks like it would have been a very fine and unique space.
It has a balcony, for instance.
But it would have ruined the outside spatial progression that exists today and turned
the north face of the house into a dead end.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Three drawings made in 1947 show the proposed changes to the house mentioned above. They are reproduced together, with explanatory texts, in "Merchant Prince and Master Builder." The reproduction of the plans is quite faint---they are pencil drawings---but I was able to enhance the images for display here.

Bedroom Level (Pl 19)

Main Level (from Pl 17)

"Merchant Prince and Master Builder," Richard L Cleary © 1999 Carnegie Museum of Art, Carnegie Institute, Pittsburgh
© The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation Archives (The Museum of Modern Art | Avery Architectural & Fine Arts Library, Columbia University, New York)