Falling Water landscape drawings

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Re: Falling Water landscape drawings

Post by SDR »

Right---and that beats even Manson. Anybody have other authors or works to add to the list ?

S

JimM

Post by JimM »

Another early work (1960) on Wright would of course be Scully's contribution to the Masters of World Architecture series. Noteworthy for inclusion of reference photos of everything from various ruins (Crete, Malta, Hadrians villa), paintings by Braque, Cezanne, and Mondrian, to works of Palladio, Richardson, Price, Corbu, Mies... and others. A concise potpourri from Oak Park to Marin County.

One of the more interesting Dover books concerns the Imperial by Cary James (1968). Many photos of its later condition as well as later drawings of the front elevation, a section, and plans for all floors-on a 4' grid.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The book by H. de Fries was published in 1926, but it is in German, and I believe has never been translated.

To research what has been written about FLW, buy "FLW, An Annotated Bibliography" by Robert Sweeney. Amazon has 2 copies of the book, which I believe is out of print.

Tom

Post by Tom »

I’ve been actually reading my copy of Hitchcock since SDR mentioned something about actually reading!
Hitchcock has a Birdseye view shot of House on the Mesa model showing that huge cantilevered canopy over the pool.
You can see the structure and it’s right closely identical to second level FW terrace.
Supporting piers frame steps down into the pool.
Brilliant transition, brilliant space
Last edited by Tom on Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Quote Hitchcock in reference to Fallingwater:
“The drama of the “House on the Mesa” is realized in this house over a waterfall.”

The House on the Mesa has a huge cantilever over water.
Last edited by Tom on Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Something else.
Looks like Hitchcock and Grant Carpenter Manson knew each other and were collaborators to some degree.
Here is Hitchcock introducing his list of Wright's chronological works in his 1942 book:

"Although many lists of Wright's work have been prepared and several of them published, none of them are very complete and most of them are quite inaccurate. The most complete listing, that in Grant Manson's unpublished Harvard doctoral dissertation of 1940, covers only the period through 1910. Manson has very generously permitted me to collate this list with his. To him I owe all the dates established from public records in the early part of the list, but my interpretation of other sorts of evidence often differs somewhat from his. I specifically owe to Manson my knowledge of the Roloson house of 1894 and the E-Z Polish Factory of 1905. We have also on the basis of our joint familiarity with the Taliesin collection of drawings discussed many points of detail."

SDR

Post by SDR »

Wow. It's a long time from 1940 to 1958. I wonder how and when Manson became familiar with the Archive . . .

Manson doesn't have a Wiki page (yet). There's this mention: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-Z_Polish_Factory

and http://www.steinerag.com/flw/Artifact%2 ... Manson.htm

S

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

Part of the explanation is that until 1959 Wright himself was putting out Wright information - in books, lectures, interviews and exhibitions.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I met Manson at one of those Domino Conferences on FLW at U. of Michigan. He said he focused on the 1910 date because he didn't find much of FLW's work after the Oak Park years interesting. For years it was rumored that Manson's book was just the first of 3, and the set would cover the entirety of Wright's career, but Manson said he never had any intention of writing anything other than the one book. We travelled together, with Ginny Kazor (a former student of Manson's at USC), to a Conservancy conference in Manchester, NH. The 'tunnel' from the plane to Logan Airport in Boston was about a mile and a half long. Manson, who was pushing a 100, said if he had known, he would have arranged for a damn wheelchair! He was hilarious company. At the Ann Arbor event, there was a false fire alarm incident at the hotel where we were all staying. Manson ran out of his room carrying his papers, wearing long johns and looking perplexed.

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

Once when Manson lectured at Barnsdall Park he said that he was reluctant to write about a building he hadn't seen. He was never able to get to the Imperial Hotel, and this was one of the reasons he didn't cover Wright's output any further.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Painted panel on fireplace wall of Mrs K's bedroom:
There is a drawing in the archive batch that calls out that panel as a place for a mural.
At this point I'm guessing it's probably not structural concrete.
Probably a plaster panel.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Mrs Kaufmann's room, often called the master bedroom:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wallyg/60 ... otostream/

Yukio Futagawa

Paul Mayen

Tom

Post by Tom »

Yep
Thanks SDR - you da man.
The Gobetz thread you link to in Flickr is one of the best I've seen for detail information.

SDR

Post by SDR »

One of Wright's great fireplaces, along with others in this house and its accompanying guest quarters---uniquely asymmetrical, naturalistic, even "earthy." Indeed, the living-room fireplace is the least of them, for me . . . though its hearthstone makes up for any lacking, in spades. Imagine an International-school architect doing these fireplaces . . .!

And one of the charms of Mrs K's bedroom is the modeling of the ceiling. Mr Wright at his three-dimensional best ?

S

Tom

Post by Tom »

Check out the ceiling in the hallway of this photograph.
Looks to me like the ceiling drops down as you move down the hall.
I saw no indication of this in the drawings.
Ya'll agree?
... in fact I think in this area, in the drawings, the ceiling is a dropped ceiling not concrete slab.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wallyg/60 ... otostream/