Article: MCM in West Vancouver, Canada

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Readers hungering for more pictures of this interesting house may eventually come across a page that has many large photos of a number of modernist works by the likes of Scharoun, Schweikher, Dow, Breuer, Tafel, Hillmer and, yes, Mudry, among others.

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthre ... =150044359

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

And when you're done with that, try the previous page (75) for much more, from Buff & Hensman, to Breuer to Wright -- Parr in Seattle, Lee in Connecticut -- high-res realtor photo sets,
a few of which have come our way already -- and other goodies, foreign and domestic. Check out the unique shot of the living room at Neils, through the big window from the terrace . . .

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthre ... 81&page=75

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthre ... 81&page=73

find: Walter Thomas Brooks - Jorgensen house (or Petal house for the Barr Family?) 1962

S

HOJO

Post by HOJO »

SDR wrote:Check out the unique shot of the living room at Neils, through the big window from the terrace . . .

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthre ... 81&page=75
Unique shot already gone?

Tom

Post by Tom »

Beautiful
thanks for posting

SDR

Post by SDR »

It's this one, HOJO; I don't recall seeing it before.

HOJO

Post by HOJO »

Thank you, SDR.
But I've seen it before, and a lot more, here: https://tours.spacecrafting.com/n-1vzm

Tom

Post by Tom »

Well, I certainly now have an apprecaition for the Neils House that I've never had before.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Not only is Neils a brilliant design, it is in the nicest location in Minneapolis, and one of the best properties of any urban FLW house.

SDR

Post by SDR »

The angled descent into the living room at Neils is reminiscent of that at Manson.

60-degree plan "accidentals" and a 42-inch square grid are the other similarities -- not that the two houses share much else, including decade of conception.

The curious omission of a passage to the ground from the terrace resulted in the wooden "stile" steps we see in the Neils photo I posted -- along with a tidy subsidence of a portion of the terrace slab ?

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Neils scale was originally 48" square, altered to 42" for cost considerations. The original plan of Neils was conceived by Howe, and was a tortured thing;
instead of the 120-degree bend, it was 60 degrees between the wings,
and, as I recall the unpublished plan that Geiger (who worked on it for Howe) had in his archive, was closer in feel to the Walter House.

At the time of reviewing the plan before sending it off to Neils, FLW completely redesigned the floor plan to its current layout.
It was on that occasion that he remarked, "Sometimes things get by without benefit of clergy."

Given that the final plan fell out of FLW's shirtsleeve, he may have had the Manson design in mind at the time. They are very similar.

Matt

Post by Matt »

Not familiar with this one at all. Fun to discover a new treat. That is some very precise masonry. The color scheme has a whiff of Olgivana about it. Are those steal windows? Did Wright use them often?

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

An interesting story about the masonry recounts that it was the only time after the Rookery (after Winslow in a house) that he authorized marble. Neils was in the stone business and specified it from the start.

(Ennis has a marble-floored hallway, but that was an edict from the clients, probably from Mabel. The drawings say shale.)

SDR

Post by SDR »

The aluminum glazing system is also present thanks to the client's building materials business(es). The original butted- or mitered-glass corners have been lost, however, due to a reglazing with insulating glass, I believe. Do I have that right ?

S