Ziegler Vs. Zeigler

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Post by SDR »

From what I've gleaned in just the last couple of years, it would be MAYma CHEEney. Changing habitual spellings and pronunciations is never easy. We like the first version of whatever we learn.

House docents are at the front lines of informing the public; I wonder how much effort is expended to assure that they are dispensing correct information . . .

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

There is also MA'-hun-ee.

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

The church answered my inquiry. It's Zeigler, not the commoner Ziegler.

Meisolus

Post by Meisolus »

Thanks Reidy! Did they give any indication of pronunciation?

SDR

Post by SDR »

Heh. Thanks, Reidy. As "Zeegler" rolls off the (American) tongue more readily than "Zygler," it's hard to imagine that the family or anyone else would, after choosing that spelling, turn around and pronounce it Zygler . . . isn't it ?

How would a European pronounce Zeigler, do you know ?

S

peterm

Post by peterm »

Tzygler

(auf Deutsch)

SDR

Post by SDR »

Ah -- well, there you have it -- and I should have known better. Sorry, guess it's a topsy-turvy world up here in Frisco !

No guarantee, of course, that the American Zeiglers chose to pronounce it correctly . . .

In New York it's All-bany; in California it's Al-bany. In Texas it's Hyooston; in Manhattan Hows-ton. Grenitch; Green-wich. Quin-zee; Quin-see. Whew -- who can keep up ?

S

HOJO

Post by HOJO »

peterm wrote:Tzygler

(auf Deutsch)
Y must sound like an I, like in like.

peterm

Post by peterm »

HOJO

Genau (Exactly).

Zeigler:

Perhaps I should have written Tz(eye)gler, or even more precisely- Tz(eye)glare.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I would offer a slight alteration: 'T', a surd letter, followed by sonant 'z' would be hard to pronounce trippingly off the tongue. A more likely pronunciation would be 'ts', both surd letters.
Thus Ts(eye)g-ler.

peterm

Post by peterm »

That works, and is easier, yes.

HOJO

Post by HOJO »

peterm wrote:HOJO

Genau (Exactly).

Zeigler:

Perhaps I should have written Tz(eye)gler, or even more precisely- Tz(eye)glare.

Not 'glare', 'gler' must be pronounced briefly like in wrangler, or (maybe in this case more applicable) like in 'lieber meister'

Emphasis on the first syllable Ts(eye)

peterm

Post by peterm »

Definitely accent on the first syllable, yes.. And the r sound of American English at the end of a word is mostly dropped. As for the vowel sound at the end of Zeigler or Lieber, it’s really lies somewhere in between “wrangler� and “wranglare�, but you be the judge:

https://youtu.be/wV4kOlwJT2Q

As a general rule, i in German is pronounced as in Mimi, e is pronounced close to our long a, a without an umlaut is ah, a with umlaut: ay as in hay, u is ooh as in boot, the other umlauts being too difficult to explain.